The Crow

Started by Ghostboy, September 07, 2003, 02:23:41 AM

Ghostboy

Mac's latest avatar reminded me that I've been meaning to bring this up. The Crow pretty much changed my life. It was the first movie I ever went to by myself (rode my bike to the theater) -- I was 13 at the time and was well on the road to being a moody and depressed teenager, and this movie just clicked with me on every possible level. Because of it, I later ended up in the Goth crowd, although I never considered myself a goth.

I haven't seen it in about four years. One of those films where I think I'll just let the memory settle for a long time, because it's bound to be better in my head. The original comic book is even better than the movie  -- the rage and sorrow that James O'Barr felt screams from every page. It's far more uneven, far more brutal, and definitely far more effective. The 'See You In Heaven, Doll' line gets me every time I read it, since that was the dedication in the original issue of the first printing.

Pubrick

yep, favorite movie for a good 4 years.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

Try harder, try again
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

very very cool movie. another lee down. sad.

Just Withnail

This is definitely my all-time favorite superhero movie, if I can call it that? Maybe that's simplifying it too much. This is something more. One its strongest points, is the human element of the Crow character. This guy may be a walking unstoppable killing machine, but he is correcting the wrongs done to him, and he confronts people on a personal level, even when in costume (which is all the time). In every other comic adaptation, or superhero film (I really don't like comparing it to any of those) the hero is always playing a role, this is what I love about The Crow; that he doesn't. Brandon does a heck of a good job conveying this. Hence my favorite line in the film being: "I think I'll just use the front door."

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyMac's latest avatar reminded me that I've been meaning to bring this up. The Crow pretty much changed my life. It was the first movie I ever went to by myself (rode my bike to the theater) -- I was 13 at the time and was well on the road to being a moody and depressed teenager, and this movie just clicked with me on every possible level. Because of it, I later ended up in the Goth crowd, although I never considered myself a goth.

I haven't seen it in about four years. One of those films where I think I'll just let the memory settle for a long time, because it's bound to be better in my head. The original comic book is even better than the movie  -- the rage and sorrow that James O'Barr felt screams from every page. It's far more uneven, far more brutal, and definitely far more effective. The 'See You In Heaven, Doll' line gets me every time I read it, since that was the dedication in the original issue of the first printing.

Cool... exact same story for me really... except I was in high school at the time.

I was really into Nine Inch Nails at the time and the soundtrack for some reason came out a long time before the actual film so I was really anticipating this film... when I saw it though, I completely forgot everything about the soundtrack and was obsessed with the movie itself.

I bought the graphic novel, the one that came with a cd that J. O'Barr had recorded his self (goth guitar rock with drum machines and shit).

anyway, yeah... big part of my highschool life.

RegularKarate

Quote from: gwaithere was a ongoing rumor that trent reznor had a cameo in the crow. but um.. that died down because he's not in the crow.

No, but he was in Light of Day as a member of the band "The Problems"... this was pre-Pretty Hate Machine.

Banky

NEON MERCURY

..everything about this film is cool xcept the sk8girl.....she got on my nerves....

Cecil

what did everyone think of the crow: city of angels?

Derek237

Never seen it. I think only about 6 or 7 people saw it, anyway.

I saw The Crow about twice and even though I wasn't blown away by it like a lot of people I still thought it was really good. The highlight is Michael Wincott, IMO. He rules.

Sleuth

I thought it was bad, but I think a lot of people like to trash it for fun.  It's not THAT bad
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

Barring the fact that they should NEVER have followed up the first movie in any way...

Yeah, it's not QUITE so bad as people say. The stuff with the villain is miserable, but the characters of Ash and Sarah are good, and there are some nice scenes and nice cinematography by Jean Yves Escoffier. The score is really really good, too. I listen to it a lot when I'm in the mood for an ominous score.

I heard the original script was very different, but test audiences hated it and so it was chopped up considerably a few weeks before it came out.

On another note, I'm really really glad the Skull Cowboy stuff got cut from the first movie.