Kevin Smith and PT Anderson, some of you people are nuts.

Started by Steve McQueen's ghost, September 30, 2003, 12:59:46 AM

Banky

Quote from: themodernage02i liked kevin smith when i was in high school.  the humor and depth of his scripts are tailored to someone of that age.  unfortunately i grew up and he didnt.  by the time jay and silent turd came out i had completely lost interest.  i thought it was painfully unfunny, as well as stupid.  now that i've finished college i can hardly remember what i liked about him in the first place.

dont place your basis of Kevin Smith movies on J&SBSB.  I wasnt a big fan either.  That was the minus one i was refering to.

SHAFTR

The #1 reason that I will remain a Kevin Smith fan is the fact that he actually cares about his fans.  He puts together parties every few years that fans are invited to, he answers questions of fans on his message board multiple times a month.

I will give you he isn't a visual director, he will give you that too; but he does make entertaining movies that turn profits and he's a great writer (in films and in comics).

There are some people who are all about the art, that is fine but I still think it is special when someone is all about the fans.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Banky

no shit.  He loves his fans.  He puts so much care into anything View Askew puts out.  Look at all the effort he puts into DVD's.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Steve McQueen's ghost

I agree that he loves his fans. Know why? He never stopped being a fan. You guys that downgrade him just don't get it, he's one of us that made it. He, like QT, is a pop culture junkie. His writing is fantastic. BTW Jason Lee was born to be Fletch, Miramax sucks. Oh, and to the kid who "grew up" and out of KS films, too bad you forgot how to laugh. What are you? 21? 22? I'm 33, an adult, but not a grown up. When you grow up, your heart dies. I will have to watch Magnolia again. The fact that so many of you here love it makes me want to give it another chance. However, as I posted in another thread, Magnolia was by no means as good as American Beauty. Sam Mendes style is every bit as imaginative as anyones. AB was probably one of the 10 best over the last 30 years or more.

Gold Trumpet

Uh Oh. Mutincyo reborn here. Opinion on the abstract is fact for him. He can even give judgements on other people with little basis. What can't he do?

Also, I don't think American Beauty is near even a decent film. A crap film, imo. Again, wanna talk about it or should you continue to give us blank checks for opinions? Discussion is priceless. Let's use it.

~rougerum

NEON MERCURY

.Kevin Smith-brilliant writer..I could care less how "visual" his films are..w/smith its all about the writing his stuff is great..
clersks-brilliant...beserker..
mallrats-garbage...
chasing amy-brilliant...
dogma-way under-rate d..
JASBSB-just plain funny.....

'BERG-brilliant
..i can'r believe people on this board call themselves "film bufs"..and diss this guy...  :roll:

fight club....i thought it was about fighting :?

Cecil

Quote from: NEON MERCURYfight club....i thought it was about fighting :?

its about homoeroticism. duh

Steve McQueen's ghost

Ok Trumpet, why was AB a crap film? I am dying to hear this.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Cecil

I thought it was a documentary on how to make soap.  :(

Cecil

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: Cecil

I thought it was a documentary on how to make soap.  :(

making soap is very homoerotic. think about it. soap.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetUh Oh. Mutincyo reborn here. Opinion on the abstract is fact for him. He can even give judgements on other people with little basis. What can't he do?

Also, I don't think American Beauty is near even a decent film. A crap film, imo. Again, wanna talk about it or should you continue to give us blank checks for opinions? Discussion is priceless. Let's use it.

~rougerum

YEAH!!! I Heart GT.
I've always felt, besides the good performances from Spacey and Benning, and the always solid DP work of Hall, that it was a manipulative and shite film, and it left me with a bad bad taste in my mouth.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

If you get over the fact that it won Best Picture the same year when Magnolia wasn't even nominated, you'll be able to see what a great film it is... I still prefer Magnolia, though.
Si

SoNowThen

I saw it before I even knew about Magnolia. I saw it with some friends from film school who raved and raved about it, I saw it with an open mind and also thinking Spacey was one of my fav actors. I came out disgusted. For reason that I NEVER want to get into on this board (because I kid you not, 40% of you will shit all over me if I tell you why) I think it is one of the most evil pieces of progaganda ever made, not to mention rife with every shit cliche in story. The only thing that saves the TERRIBLE story is the fact that Conrad Hall can make anything beautiful. I firmly believe he won every award for this film. His lighting made the acting and directing seem much more brilliant, and it almost covered up the script.

I could care less that it won an award. I don't hate movies if they win an academy award. As much as I don't put much stock in those things, I'm usually more interested to see something that won, just to see what the industry "peers" are deeming important that year.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

In the big picture, American Beauty is a Woody Allen film done without the comedy and is now pretending it is original material. To explain, Woody Allen makes parodies of serious movies and brings down all the characters to levels of characteratures, meaning they are easily identifiable of who they represent in other movies. Example of another movie could be Ordinary People for this one. In this movie, all you need is two seconds to sum up the struggles and goals of every single character in this movie. Nothing organic is felt at all. They are all stiff characteratures brought down to the ground by writing that plays as the underlining meaning to the other movies. So instead of a family struggle in which a conflict is shown and thats all, the movie will show the struggle with themes right on the surface and continually being pounded. Even movie fantasy is observed with the dream sequence and only further underlines everything we knew within moments. Nothing in this movie is organic, everything is playing from a storyline we all know too well, "Six people yet again are searching for themselves." The movie is near parody though in that it dresses its locale, its characters and its conflict in the best way to sum them as a parody would do. Parodies reduce things to identifiable symbols as to show how cliche they are.

Then, they are the good things that make this hard to discern. The performances are great in Cooper, Spacey and Benning. The directing and lighting is great as well and almost bring an effect where just watching it is enjoyable. The writing, as explained in the first paragraph, is dismal.

~rougerum