Dear Zachary

Started by picolas, October 29, 2009, 04:43:59 PM

picolas

trailer:

not sure if there's a thread for this... i watched it last night and it shattered me many times over. no one else in the world could have made this movie. much like Anvil it's made by someone who has known his subject since childhood, so everyone really opens up to him and he has all the footage he could ever possibly need. i wish it could've been 15 minutes longer, and those 15 minutes would've been spaces between people talking and letting their thoughts sit for a couple seconds more. in other words the editing can be very jarring but also really overwhelming and effective.. don't sit down to watch this without knowing it will destroy you.

pete

I started watching it maybe now I should finish.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

I saw this on MSNBC last year and it really broke my heart. Didn't think to start a thread because I thought it was just one of those cable news documentaries which sometimes end up being good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

OrHowILearnedTo

This is really great. At the beginning i thought the pacing and editing was inappropriate but the interviews are just so affecting. I made it 40 minutes before i started crying. I don't remember the last time i cried watching a movie, and it wasn't just the moments of loved ones talking about a person they missed, the stuff that got me was the little things like watching Andrew's photography.

squints

anywhere online i can watch this?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

picolas

pete

also if you've got netflix.
but I heard the DVD is supposed to be like a total work of art - the cases and whatnot, from the beastie boy guy's new boutique label.
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

I will watch this but I'm scared.  I need to wait until I'm ready to be destroyed.

Pedro

Don't be too scared; just dive in.  This was pretty remarkable.  The editing is often overwhelming, especially at first, but as the film progresses you get caught up in the narrative and the style seems to reinforce the content in a clever and beautiful way.  I didn't cry as much as I was expecting to, but the ending was so touching that I couldn't control myself.  All in all, an incredible documentary, both as a true crime narrative and a personal reflection.  I'd like to watch it again.

pete

best film of the year.  maybe of the decade.  it's as good as capturing the friedmans.
I didn't realize it was directed by the guy who did "validation", the short film that everyone fell in love with last year.
- Buster Keaton

squints

hey fuck you guys for getting me to watch this. i wasn't prepared. this is really great but so incredibly sad.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

CatMan5129

brockly

this movie really fucked with my emotions. it is, indeed, utterly shattering. and while it's probably the saddest and most rage-inducing movie i've ever seen, in the end i was overwhelmed more by love and awe than sadness and anger. everyone should watch this.

SiliasRuby

Everyone basically already said what I was going to say. Man, what a punch to the gut. I almost never get emotional over films but this really got to me and by the end I was on the brink of tears. True crime disturbing and it then turns heartfelt as the movie rolls on. My heart is beating sooo fast still. I want to recommend this to everyone but they probably won't give me the credit. Man, what a film. I need to watch a comedy right now to shake out some of the sadness.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

watched this AGAIN with some friends last night and then immediately watched the two latest episodes of curb. good contrast.