certified copy

Started by samsong, February 18, 2011, 04:48:17 AM

samsong

the sole purpose of this thread is to warn all of you not to watch the trailer for certified copy that was recently put up on apple's site.  it's awful.  here's a french teaser instead.

go see this when it comes out.

matt35mm

Thank you (truly) for the warning.  I won't watch either trailer and I will see the film when it comes out.

samsong

this came out yesterday (in la and nyc).  go see it.  i think uncle boonmee's out too.  go see that.

Pubrick

the sole purpose of this post is to warn all of you not to watch certified copy.

it's awful.

It's tedious, unrewarding rubbish. It's so bad that I will never ever trust sambong's opinion on art house cinema again. How could anyone possibly stay awake during this? It's about two self indulgent and delusional PRETENTIOUS fucks.

It could have been charming but instead it is dreary. Any imagination that went into the concept of trying to make this fantasy pretend bullshit "relationship" tie into the initial thesis of the "value of copies" or anything else the film may have had going for it is hampered by mind numbing pacing, insipid performance (the dude.. at least binoche seemed to find an emotional core to her pathetic excuse for a character) and just a completely tone deaf style in general that makes the whole exercise as boring as a fucking lecture.

It's a colossal misfire from an acclaimed director akin to what My Blueberry Nights was for wrong kar wai. BUT WORSE.

World renown overrated troll jean luc godard once said "cinema begins with dw griffith and ends with abbas kiarostami".. he wasn't kidding, a part of cinema died with this film.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I'm just happy that P's seeing movies again.   :yabbse-smiley:
My house, my rules, my coffee

samsong

well, at least your reaction is violent.

all i can really say is that all the facets you've responded negatively to (just about everything), i loved.  as if that wasn't clear enough.  but this is a case of "to each his own."  it coud've been dreary but i found it charming.  your mind numbing pacing is languid and euphoric for me.  william shimell's inexperience does show at times, namely in the trattoria scene, but his look and the timbre of his voice suit the character impeccably and make up for what i felt were already overlookable misgivings.  aside from being purposefully unique and playful, the relationship (the nature of which is a spoiler, no?) expounds beautifully on the idea of copies by extending it to a consideration of the way art is essentially a copy of life, a concept especially applicable to cinema.  it's as much an essay on cinema while being, in some ways, the ultimate expression of its maker as, say, inland empire.

and so on.  i guess the difference here is that i'm a delusional pretentious fuck and you're... australian.

you're definitely wrong about one thing, though.  i don't care how much you hated this movie, it isn't worse than my blueberry nights.  nothing is worse than my blueberry nights.

samsong

so... anyone else see this?

JG

Figure 8

I pretty much never post anything here, but I just saw this and thought I'd second this recommendation.  This movie is amazing.  It has a near hypnotic quality, and is engagingly shot, which helps the (exquisitely written) exposition become more entertaining and fulfilling.  The first half feels very similar to early Linklater, like Before Sunrise, almost, except more tense...  The second half becomes more mysterious and elusive and emotional.  Very taught and philosophical, insightful but also emotionally fulfilling.  Really good piece of work.  Not just a pretentious, overwrought exercise.

Stefen

Saw this last night and hated it at first. I too found it pretentious and mostly completely boring. It wasn't until the friend I saw it with brought something up that I started to rethink what I thought about it.

Spoilers.
So while watching it I just found it completely pretentious. Here's a guy who's job is to critique fake art, and now he's going to pretend to be in a fake marriage. I kept rolling my eyes at these two adults pretending to be married and giving fake emotions. Gawd, it pissed me off. But then afterwards my friend brought up how maybe they were really married and all those fake emotions they were exhibiting were actually real and if that was the case, it really makes the movie a lot better and not as silly and pretentious. There are things that suggest they were married and things that suggest they weren't. The one thing that makes me think they are is when she starts crying when he's recalling a story and she says, "sounds familiar" but then how come her son was giving her shit for flirting with a stranger? Was he in on it too? Doubt it. And why would he need to sign those books there in the car? Couldn't he have done it any other time? I'm sure it's meant to be ambiguous.

What conclusion did everyone else draw?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

So is this kind of like The Shape of Things?

polkablues

Technically, asking that question would not be a spoiler.  Answering it might, potentially.

Jeremy Blackman

polkablues

So do I.  One of Neil LaBute's brief respites from being terrible.