Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

El Duderino

i actually just watched the trailer again too.....fucking great.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pubrick

it should be called Symmetry 101.

u'd think no one has heard of Wes Anderson, the response that trailer is getting.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Nah nah it's obvious that he's taking from Anderson and stuff.  There was some interview with Braff where he said that he's a big fan of Wes Anderson and Sofia Coppola right now.  Regardless, I still think it's a pretty awesome teaser.

Cuz I'm not talking about the movie Garden State, I'm just talking about the trailer as a stand-alone thing.  If you look at the details of the teaser and try and figure out how it would piece together a movie--that movie might not be all that, or at least, it could easily not be that great.  And when the full trailer comes out, with dialogue and all, it probably won't be as interesting.

The little things, like him standing and the shirt blending with the wall, or when he's sitting still and people are moving fast around him, the staring in the mirror (divided) thing... these individual elements are kinda eh and they've been done before etc. etc.  But this teaser is greater than the sum of its parts, in my opinion.

Tictacbk

yea I definetly just watched the trailer for like the 30th time.  Its friggen addictive in its detached epic sort of way.  I sense Wes Anderson meets Kubrick meets (sofia/francis) Coppola.  Great, great, great trailer...its gonna be a real let down when the actual movie isn't that good but shit happens.

tpfkabi

that's kinda how i would describe my style (well i haven't actually made any movies, so at least how i think it would be......Kubrick shooting a Wes Anderson script and Godard instead of Coppola)

on the IMDB, the rating is kinda low, but after reading a few posts, apparently the ratings are made by Natalie haters. they said there are several 1's.  a movie has to be really really bad to deserve a 1 i would think.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

CCBaxter

glad to see i'm not the only person obsessed with the "Garden State" trailer.  i too am worried the movie will not live up to the trailer, but with peter sarsgaard who tore it up in "shattered glass" last year and nataile portman and ian holm the movie is sure to work on at least some level.

Ghostboy

In the new Entertainment Weekly, Zach Braff says that his next film will be an adaptation of the childrens' book 'Andrew Henry's Meadow.' Does anyone else remember this book, and/or remember loving it as much as I did? It's an elegantly illustrated story of a boy who likes to invent things, to the chagrin of his parents; so one day he runs away from home and builds an amazing tree house; all the neighborhood children migrate to his meadow and he builds them all homes tooled to their specific interests. It inspired me to build many a fort in my backyard.

I don't know how I feel about it being made into a movie -- it's a very old fashioned story, beautiful in its sheer simplicity, and Braff describing it as a Goonies style film worries me.

If David Gordon Green announced that he was going to make it, I wouldn't have any worries at all. It's that kinda story.

tpfkabi

is the book more of a picture book like Where the Wild Things Are or does it have a detailed story?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ghostboy

It's got more pictures than words, but there are more words than Where The Wild Things Are. The pictures, as I remember them, are very evocative b/w pen and ink drawings.

I looked through all my boxes of old books trying to find the copy I grew up with, but my mom said it's probably on the shelves at our other house...I'm really anxious to revisit it now, I haven't thought about it in years but now the memories are flooding back. Maybe it'll come back into print when and if the movie comes out.

Pubrick

he should adapt his trailer.
under the paving stones.

ProgWRX

Quote from: CCBaxterglad to see i'm not the only person obsessed with the "Garden State" trailer.  i too am worried the movie will not live up to the trailer, but with peter sarsgaard who tore it up in "shattered glass" last year and nataile portman and ian holm the movie is sure to work on at least some level.

youre most definately not the only one...
i first saw this trailer before watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Needless to say, the trailer put me in the right frame of mind for the movie...

also check out the imdb board for it too :)  there is one thread called something like "obsessed with the traler"  :D
-Carlos

Sal

I must be the only one here that really hates the trailer for its derivative style.

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

Quote from: SalI must be the only one here that really hates the trailer for its derivative style.
Quote from: Pubrickit should be called Symmetry 101.

u'd think no one has heard of Wes Anderson, the response that trailer is getting.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SalI must be the only one here that really hates the trailer for its derivative style.

what does that word mean...?