Panic Room

Started by Xixax, January 12, 2003, 08:39:29 PM

Ghostboy

I think it was a pretty nifty movie. Technically, I think it is more successful and efficient than 'Fight Club,' although not as memorable (a flawed masterpiece is still a masterpiece). This is a good example of a director having fun (unlike Full Frontal). And I thought those opening titles were just awesome. Very Hitchcock.

SHAFTR

I liked Panic Room...It did surpise me upon how conventional it was.

A theory that I read online...to think about.

Each enemy represented id, ego, superego.  The panic room is symbolic of the mind and none of what happened actually happened.  That explains the very final scene.

Anyways, just a theory I read.  I don't really buy into it though.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

I like the movie for what it is. It was a fun suspense movie- why bash it?
The cinematog. and editing were stunning as always with a Fincher movie. I loved the long CGI shot, it was cool. What's the big deal?

Anonymous

I'm like the only person in the world who didn't like Se7en and I'm one of the many that LOVED Fight Club, so...my anticipations for Panic Room were all out of wack. In any case, I really liked it. It was really fun. Jared Leto was great and Forest Whitaker stole the show.

moonshiner

Fincher's a great director...Panic Room was a bad movie...no suspense, barely a story, if this wasn't a Fincher movie none of us would have watched it because the story is SO shabby...and oh yeah, better musician actor...Meatloaf over Dwight Yoakam
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

MacGuffin

Quote from: moonshiner1620oh yeah, better musician actor...Meatloaf over Dwight Yoakam

Watch "Sling Blade" then tell me if you change your mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Anonymous

good point...actually i like Yoakam, a legitimate country musician too. i'm not sure where to put Meatloaf in that category, i guess i was comparing their roles in the movies i was talking about[/quote]

oakmanc234

I thought 'Panic Room' was a ripper of a movie. Masterfully executed and full of hard core tension.

But I will never feel the way about 'Panic' as I do about 'Se7en' and 'Fight Club'. I find these films phenomenal. I think back to the first time I saw 'Se7en' and 'Fight' and remember being shocked, dazed and...hooked. These films are mind-blowing cult classics.

'Panic Room' is just a slick thriller.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

av8raaron

I'm not too disappointed with Fincher - good with the screenplay that was there.  I would like to see Foster in better things, though I know not everything can be Silence of the Lambs.
Fresh buttered toast.

snaporaz

i liked panic room ALOT. i saw it three times at the cinema, i think.

and i think fincher's cool for not having the nerve to try and keep adding one important & deep movie after another. panic room was simply a fun fucking movie. and i honestly thought it was suspensful. very suspensful. it literally had me on the edge of my seat a few times. and i mean literally.

as for the cinematography...it was very, very cool. my only complaint is, like someone said earlier, was that some shots were completely unnecessary. like the key-hole, the flashlight bulb, the concrete wall zoom-in [however i liked the wall zoom-in. it just looked cool.  :oops:]. all that was basically fincher jerking off for us.

but besides that, i think it's unfair that a director, no matter who he is, must feel pressured to make really epic movies of biblical proportions just because he's done such films in the past.

oh yeah, that ending really did suck. the film should have just faded out when burnham lost his dough. and i did think the opening credits were cool. it totally gives a cold introduction.

and anyways, i'd honestly say that watching panic room in a theater was by far one of my funnest cinema-experiences ever. the audience just totally went with it. like whenever jodie foster fucked up, or when she was setting up to light the air vent on fire while junior had his head next to it...i dunno. the audience just gave the whole thing a really fun & exciting atmosphere. it almost made me feel like i was in that rioting audience that was about to watch plan 9 in the movie ed wood, except we liked it.

©brad

I also had a really good experience in the theater when I saw it. (few and far between these days) The part when Foster runs out of the room to get the cell phone in slow-mo-- the audience was going crazy. it was great. scary/suspense movies are the best to watch with a lot of people.

what's wrong with directors jerking off for us? Isn't that the point? I notice not many people make these comments about PTA. How many show off moments are there in Boogie Nights?

snaporaz

Quote from: cbrad4dwhat's wrong with directors jerking off for us? Isn't that the point? I notice not many people make these comments about PTA. How many show off moments are there in Boogie Nights?

the awesome camera-work in boogie nights may not have really served a purpose alot of the time, but it wasn't like the crap in panic room that makes you ask "what the fuck was that shot for?".

i know you know what i mean.

©brad

calling the camera work in Panic Room 'crap' is absurd. so many ppl knock the 'cool shots' w/o taking into account the amount of work and effort that goes into em. Think about how much time fincher and his crew probably spent on that one cgi shot. i mean, on a purely technical level, those shots are pretty remarkable.

snaporaz

Quote from: cbrad4dcalling the camera work in Panic Room 'crap' is absurd. so many ppl knock the 'cool shots' w/o taking into account the amount of work and effort that goes into em. Think about how much time fincher and his crew probably spent on that one cgi shot. i mean, on a purely technical level, those shots are pretty remarkable.

oh christ. i didn't mean it was crap. i just said "the crap" as in "the stuff". i even said earlier that the cinematography in the film was cool. i just felt that some shots were unnecessary and distracting.

get off it.

©brad

where i come from 'crap' is a derogatory term.