Oscar Predictions and Final Awards Comments

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2004, 12:31:11 PM

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

ok. i knew i saw Jason on camera.
know how is he related to the boy in Virgin Suicides? he looks a little like him.......i'm talking about the one who goes to the party and gets punch and makes "eyes" at the mother

ok. i found out. he's also the one in Princess Diaries apparently:
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:292865
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

yes, Robert Schwartzman who changed his name to Carmine presumably because he is singer for the band Rooney and didnt want the fact he is a coppola or the little brother band of phantom planet cropping up in every review, (not that it probably mattered).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

I'd like to know how many Coppola's there are.

tpfkabi

ok. i've heard of Rooney, but not HEARD Rooney.
when i looked them up in All Music Guide, they still mentioned Jason and Phantom Planet.......so the name change didn't work......now every article says he changed his name to avoid it.......but yeah, them Coppola's are everywhere!!!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Chest RockwellI'd like to know how many Coppola's there are.

About 3 for every Wayans.