2.  Finding Nemo
3.  Capturing the Friedmans
4.  The Matrix: Reloaded
5.  The Hulk
6.  Willard
7.  A Mighty Wind
8.  Bruce Almighty

SoNowThen

Spellbound, All The Real Girls, The Good Thief, City Of God, Lost In La Mancha, Northfork, American Splendor, Kill Bill, Intolerable Cruelty...

... so far

EDIT - Elephant tonight, so we'll see if the list gets bigger.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

what about rabbit-proof fence? isn't out in the u.s.? probably the best for me so far note that i am way behind.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenSpellbound, All The Real Girls, The Good Thief, City Of God...

... so far

The Good Thief? Really? Man, I would see it on your recommendation but I'm sorry, I refuse to sit through ANY Nick Nolte movie...I'm better looking than that motherfucker.

God forbid he ever stars in a PTA movie. I'm probably a better actor too, I'd probably survive as an extra.

MacGuffin

Quote from: phil marlowewhat about rabbit-proof fence? isn't out in the u.s.?

Came out last year. Already on DVD.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeamanThe Good Thief? Really? Man, I would see it on your recommendation but I'm sorry, I refuse to sit through ANY Nick Nolte movie...I'm better looking than that motherfucker..
so.. u watch films based on how attractive the male actors are?

ebeaman, u don't need to say it.. we know. good for u buttercup. :kiss:
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: SoNowThenSpellbound, All The Real Girls, The Good Thief, City Of God...

... so far

The Good Thief? Really? Man, I would see it on your recommendation but I'm sorry, I refuse to sit through ANY Nick Nolte movie...I'm better looking than that motherfucker.

God forbid he ever stars in a PTA movie. I'm probably a better actor too, I'd probably survive as an extra.

Heheh, Ebs.  :-D
It wasn't great, but good enough, and looked great, and was a very cute update on Bob Le Flambeur. But... really -- you don't like Nolte? Guy's amazing. Thin Red Line, Affliction... he's pretty solid. As a person he seems like a total dickhead moron, but I have tons of respect for his acting chops.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

I am interested in Thin Red Line...I understand he doesn't have a very big part. Cause yea, I can't stand the guy as an actor or person.

©brad

Quote from: ebeamanI am interested in Thin Red Line...I understand he doesn't have a very big part. Cause yea, I can't stand the guy as an actor or person.

nick nolte? he rocks dude. his voice kinda has a pacino vibe to it, sortof. one of my favorite performances of his is in u-turn, him and billy bob.

chainsmoking insomniac

As SoNowThen so correctly and perfectly put, Nolte kicked some fucking ass in Affliction.  What a disturbing, beautifully brutal movie that was.  It was also James Coburn's final performance, if I'm not mistaken...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Yep, and a stunning one at that.

Ghostboy

Actually, his last movie was American Gun, which I don't believe has made it beyond festivals yet. And before that, he appeared with another academy award winner in

I love Nolte. I'd really love to work with him someday. The Good Thief was a pretty fun movie, too.

bonanzataz

i'm just realizing that i haven't really seen any worthwhile films this year. the only ones i'm planning to buy on DVD when they come out are finding nemo, matrix, all the real girls, and house of a thousand corpses. nothing's really blown me away. granted, only half the year has gone by. usually all my favorite movies come late in the game. last year was PDL, year before that, tenenbaums (but i DID have hedwig towards the end of summer), year before that, my memory doesn't go that far back...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

nix

In no particular order:

City of God (if that counts for '03)
Morver Caller
Love Liza
Better Luck Tomorrow
The Good Thief
All the Real Girls
Gerry
Divine Intervention
Irreversible
L'Auberge Espagnole
The Man Without a Past
Raising Victor Vargas
The Shape of Thins
28 Days Later
Spellbound

Haven't seen "Man on the Train" yet, but I can't wait...

Listen, every year has it's good and bad. I'm looking at every film I've seen since '96 and there's always ups and downs. Of course some years are better than others. '99 anyone?
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Derek237

So far this year the three best movies I've seen are Identity, Old School, and Willard.

Needless to say I haven't seen too many movies this year. But, like bonbon said in an earlier post, the best has yet to come....