Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

©brad

grand theft sparrow

As no one on the face of the earth seems to be excited about this, he'd better be the next PTA or he'll never work again. 

In other words, he'll never work again.  $10 million is a fair price for that dream of mine to come true.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: hacksparrow on April 13, 2006, 01:56:33 PM
As no one on the face of the earth seems to be excited about this, he'd better be the next PTA or he'll never work again. 

But what if he actually WAS the next PTA?  What if this actually did turn out to be really great?  What if he even ended up with his own director's forum here? 

I'm starting to scare myself now..
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

squints

he'd better be the next PTA

Its not a possiblity. This is the man who gave us such great gems as: I did it all for the nookie. What? the nookie. What? So you can take that cookie...and...well you get it.

I got on myspace the other day and just happened to make my way to his site. It was ridiculous, he had written some song about how their former guitarist was a bitch for leaving the band or something. Pretty pathetic. The fascinating thing was the people who still listen to limp bizkit that were posting replies to his rants. These horrible idiots. They will eat up whatever tripe dribbles from this guys head. Limp Bizkit's fans and their disturbing & blind adoration for the band is very similar to Insane Clown Posse fans, which is not good at all. I hope hope hope Durst makes a thought-provoking piece of art, so all of his die-hard fans will turn on him for being an artsy pussy. But i seriously doubt that will happen, Durst seems like the kind of guy who would direct a movie like...say...Boondock Saints.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ginger on April 13, 2006, 02:24:16 PM

But what if he actually WAS the next PTA?  What if this actually did turn out to be really great?  What if he even ended up with his own director's forum here? 

I'm starting to scare myself now..

If, by some strange misalignment of the cosmos, he turns out to be as good as he thinks he is, then great!  As long as he stops making shitty music.  Forever.  The reason we think he sucks all around is because his music sucks.  I don't think that's compromising how we feel about him.  Even if he makes the best American film since Magnolia, Limp Bizkit will still suck.

It could very well be that Fred Durst picked a first career that didn't show off his true talents but paved the way for his success so he could show us what he can really do... kind of like Russell Crowe and TOFOG.

MacGuffin

Birds Droppings
An update on the Hitch remake!

IGN FilmForce recently paid a visit to the Texas set of Rogue Pictures' The Hitcher, a remake of the 1986 cult classic produced by Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes, where we got the chance to chat with producer Brad Fuller.

Fuller told us about some other projects that Platinum Dunes is developing, including a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 suspense classic The Birds, which Fuller was quick to point out "is a whole different animal than anything we've ever done."

"We're not remaking Hitchcock's movie. That movie stands on its own and it is a wonderful piece of filmmaking. It's a very difficult thing to say, 'We're remaking a Hitchcock film,'" Fuller said. "What was interesting to us was that the short story [by Daphne Du Maurier] the Hitchcock film was based on was chock full of stuff that Hitchcock didn't use in his film. And so we went to those things and that's the basis of our film. It's the same title because it's based on the same short story but we don't have characters like what they have. The concept of birds, certainly, that's the core of the movie but the situations and the plot come from the short story not from the Hitchcock film."

IGN learned that The Birds will be scripted by the writing team of Stiles White and Juliet Snowden (Boogeyman). So will the new version still feature an icy blonde whose arrival into a small California seaside town eerily coincides with the avian attacks?

"No, it's a family that's already there, that's been there," Fuller revealed. "Those kinds of things will change subject of who we have writing it and what actors we're able to get and what the actors want."

"It's a little different from when Hitch was making those movies. We have a lot of variables we have to balance. So, as I said, we're not remaking the movie. We're remaking that story. And what we're always looking for is a compelling story."

The big question surrounding The Birds is whether or not Michael Bay will direct it. "No. I don't think Bay has the time," Fuller said flatly. "Transformers is non-stop until July 2007. Michael, he's the hardest working man. He doesn't stop. He's not going to take time off in post to go direct another movie. He stays with it until the bitter end."

Fuller even addressed the issue of casting. "We've had interest from very high-level actresses to play what they think is the Tippi Hendren role. It's not but, again, all of our films have this female protagonist. We've had some wonderful interest from some incredible actresses and that will dictate a little bit who directs the movie, I suspect."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Remake of the film/based on the short stoy...

it still smells of bullshit
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Brazoliange

the short story  was way worse than Hitchcock's spin anyways, what a bad idea.
Long live the New Flesh

MacGuffin

Timberlake to join Moore for Graduate redo?
Source: Moviehole

Sounds more dubious some of the stuff at the bottom of Tim Allen's resume, but lets roll with it anyway. Sky News is reporting that Demi Moore and Justin Timberlake are in talks to front a remake of "The Graduate". Yep, "The Graduate".

The former Brat Packer turned Cradle Snatcher will play the licentious Mrs. Robinson, whilst popsinger cum wannabe film star Timberlake (Last seen in the savaged "Alpha Dog") will don the twitchy boxers of her young stud-in-training; a role made famous by Dustin Hoffman.

Initially, Moore was planning to remake the film with her hubby, Ashton Kutcher, but decided against the idea after remembering how much of a nightmare it was doing, well, films with Emilio Estevez and Bruce Willis.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

A Matter Of Chance

MacGuffin

The Day the Earth Stood Still Being Remade for 2008 - Confirmed!
Source: First Showing

Apparently Box Office Mojo, the best website for all things box office earnings, has updated their schedule for summer 2008 and included a listing of The Day the Earth Stood Still to open on May 9th, 2008 (one week after Iron Man). The original is a sci-fi classic 1951 movie about an alien and a robot that land on Earth to try and save the world from being destroyed. IMDB doesn't even have a listing for this remake, but Box Office Mojo claims it's being produced by Fox, fast-tracked for a spot in 2008′s busy summer.

Is this real? We don't know yet, but we'll put in some requests with Fox to find out. I can bet if it is real, it's going to be directed by someone who will give all sci-fi geeks quite a tingle. This movie is a very well-known classic and I don't think they'd risk screwing up a remake - like War of the Worlds, another 50′s classic, fortunately they did a pretty good job with that.

Update: Fox confirmed with us that this is true and the date is correct, meaning a The Day the Earth Stood Still remake is definitely underway for summer 2008!

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Fred Durst-Directed Flick Awarded At Tribeca Film Festival
Limp Bizkit frontman's 'Education of Charlie Banks' takes home Made in NY narrative prize.

Fred Durst has always been a popular singer. Who knew the Limp Bizkit frontman could also direct?

Durst was among the big winners at this year's Tribeca Film Festival, where his flick "The Education of Charlie Banks" took home the Made in NY narrative prize, given to the best film either about or shot in New York state. "The Education of Charlie Banks" follows three New Yorkers, played by Chris Marquette, Jason Ritter and Jesse Eisenberg, who reunite at Vassar College after a turbulent youth.

According to a festival spokesperson, Durst's flick beat out 14 other films for the prize and was chosen by a jury that included Oscar winner Mercedes Ruehl and actress Minnie Driver.

Director David Volach's "My Father My Lord" took home the award for Best Narrative Feature while Alex Gibey's "Taxi to the Darkside" won Best Documentary. "My Father My Lord" (titled "Hofshat Kaits" in Israel) follows a rabbi who challenges his faith, while "Taxi" centers on U.S. torture practices overseas, particularly how they affected an innocent taxi driver who was tortured and killed in Afghanistan in 2002.

Gibey won't be making many friends at the next Republican National Convention. He was previously best known for directing "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room."

"I fear that along the way that sense of purpose and hope for a better world was hijacked by some people who played on our fears and in a way took us on a journey to the dark side," the director said at the awards ceremony, according to Yahoo! Movies.

Other winners at the sixth annual festival included "Making Of," which won both Best Actor (Lofti Edbelli) and Best Screenplay (Nouri Bouzid); "Lady Chatterley," which won Best Actress (Marina Hands); and "The Killing of John Lennon," which won the Made in NY Special Jury Recognition Prize.

"The Last Dog in Rwanda" and "A Son's Sacrifice" were highlighted in the short-film competition. The flicks won for Best Narrative Short and Best Documentary Short, respectively.

Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal started the Tribeca Film Festival in 2002 as a way to revitalize lower Manhattan after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center crippled the area's economy.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

No, seriously. Stop with the remakes already...

MGM remaking 'Dressed to Kill'
Studio pacts with Hyde Park on DVD movies
Source: Variety

MGM is partnering with Ashok Amritraj's Hyde Park Entertainment to produce direct-to-DVD movies aimed at specific demos.

First project from the alliance will be a remake of the 1980 thriller "Dressed to Kill," with Rick Alexander signed to write the script.

Hyde Park's Patrick Aiello initiated the remake project and will head the banner's new consumer direct division, working closely with MGM's recently installed home entertainment VP Jason Weiss, who will oversee the production.

The original pic was released by Filmways, which was later acquired by Orion and ultimately by MGM. Brian De Palma wrote and directed, with Angie Dickinson, Dennis Franz, Nancy Allen and Michael Caine starring.

Alexander recently scripted the sci-fi thriller "Subatomic" for the two companies, and is producing a remake of "Conan the Barbarian" for Warner Bros.

MGM is planning to release 12 or more DVD projects per year, primarily based on popular film and TV franchises. Hyde Park recently wrapped "Asylum," is in post- production on James Wan's "Death Sentence" for Fox and has a five-year co-financing agreement with Fox, which is also the exclusive distrib for MGM's consumer-direct projects.

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Sheriff

id fuck ayn rand