Greek Chorus

Started by ono, September 14, 2010, 01:28:39 PM

ono

I'm researching their use in movies.  Any good examples of how they're used, either literally, or in a humorous manner.  The two good examples I'm aware of (thx Wikipedia) are Mighty Aphrodite and Flushed Away.  And, there's a third, Repo! the Genetic Opera, which I haven't seen -- has anyone?  Is it worth it?  Did Wiki leave anything out that was noteworthy?  Thanks.

pete

well Jonathan Richman in Something about Mary was kinda like a Greek Chorus.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

The guys sitting outside the Korean grocers in Do the Right Thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

more like senor love daddy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

The best example I can think of are the elderly in Richard Lester's The Knack ....and How to Get It.

Wish I could find specific examples online, but you may as well watch the movie; last I checked it was on Hulu.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

Holly Hunter and Delroy Lindo in A Life Less Ordinary.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Sam Elliott in The Big Lebowski is, but he doesn't show up very much.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on September 14, 2010, 02:00:25 PM
The best example I can think of are the elderly in Richard Lester's The Knack ....and How to Get It.

Wish I could find specific examples online, but you may as well watch the movie; last I checked it was on Hulu.

:yabbse-thumbup:

md

an article mentioned the weather predictions in magnolia acting as a greek chorus -- kind of a stretch, but it certainly is a chapter mark.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche