Aronosfky's Year One

Started by sphinx, January 22, 2003, 05:31:17 PM

MacGuffin

Aronofsky on YEAR ONE & BEGINS
Source: Jett; Batman-On-Film

Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 5:18 PM CENTRAL TIME: I wanted to post this in the news since a lot of y'all didn't catch it in my SDCC 2006 section. I had the honor of meeting director Darren Aronofsky, who was once developing a BATMAN project himself with Frank Miller titled YEAR ONE.

Now, I was a tad hard on both of these guys when I REVIEWED THE SCRIPT and I still think it wouldn't have worked as a "Batman film." And guess what, Darren agreed -- sort of. "It was so violent," he told me at Comic Con. "I knew it was never going to get green lighted, but we were going 180 [from the last BATMAN] movie" he told me.

The following is a bit of what I said in my script review:

"Let me make this clear - YEAR ONE is a quality, well-written script, and I enjoyed reading it. I do understand why many Bat-fans like it. It would make a hell of a film - it just shouldn't be a 'Batman' film."

I guess I really didn't hammer it as hard as I thought.

While he was there to promote THE FOUNTAIN (which I had the honor to screen) and I did tell him my thoughts of it (My review will be out in October -- go see it), I had to ask him about BATMAN BEGINS. "Loved it," he informed me, "Chris [Nolan] did a hell of a job."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks