Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby

Started by MacGuffin, February 14, 2006, 03:14:42 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: Derek237 on June 24, 2006, 08:44:42 PM
The bad news: There's no way it could possibly be as great as Anchorman. Just..no way.

There IS a way and it rhymes with "On See Greilly"

I'm sure the other two hundred and thirty six Dereks would agree.

Derek237

Nah.

I love John C. Reilly as much as the next guy, but let's just look at the hard evidence here. Even he couldn't save the mediocre Adam Sandler/Jack Nicholson Anger Management flick, despite halarious monk attire. Now, don't tell me it's because it was just a cameo. Great cameos can make big differences. As Wedding Crashers limped into it's lame, soft, boring final act, Will Ferrel swooped in and saved the day.

So I guess what I'm saying is something like, John C. Reilly is a delicious chocolate sauce.

By which I mean, if you put the delicious chocolate sauce on a week-old hot dog it's still just a week-old hotdog with some delicious chocolate sauce on it.

Yeah I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, everyone. I really am.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Derek237 on July 13, 2006, 04:42:44 AM
Yeah I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Clearly
Keep it up and you'll be demoted to Derek238

Derek237

Personally, I would find it much more clever if you said 217. But whatever.

©brad

Quote from: Derek237 on July 13, 2006, 10:46:53 PM
Personally, I would find it much more clever if you said 217. But whatever.

nah rk is right. a demotion, in your case, would result in a higher number.

so derek1 would be the least lame of all the lame dereks, and derek350 would be the lamest.

Derek237

Yes, but you see, there are no such numbers of Dereks here. There is, however, a room numbered "237" in the Shining, but also a room "217" in other versions (book, crap TV movie). I would love to have my username just "Derek," but since it's taken, I chose a signifcant number, and I really think it's being depreciated here. I thought this was movie forum. So maybe if Xixax were a math forum where users can factor in equations of how lame a user is judging by the number that follows his name- for no good reason, at that- then yeah, maybe he would be right.

modage

a lot of this was funny, but it was not very good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Pubrick

Quote from: pyramid machine on August 04, 2006, 06:44:28 PM
Quote from: modage on August 04, 2006, 06:22:23 PM

whats the grade brotha?

c?
why do you need a grade? he explained well enough what he thought. no, i understand why you and everyone needs a grade, but seriously he wrote one line how much more concise can you get?! i'd rather a sentence with key words like "not very good" than a meaningless letter or number or whatever wingding symbol that would be more misleading than informative (which it is not at all). we have to put an end to this.
under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Pubrick on August 04, 2006, 09:40:32 PM

whats the grade brotha?

c?
why do you need a grade? he explained well enough what he thought. no, i understand why you and everyone needs a grade, but seriously he wrote one line how much more concise can you get?! i'd rather a sentence with key words like "not very good" than a meaningless letter or number or whatever wingding symbol that would be more misleading than informative (which it is not at all). we have to put an end to this.
I'm with pubrick on this one.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

a little more detail is: i think anchorman was much much better than this.  one problem, that cars shares, is when you have a sports film or in these cases a racing movie, you unfortunately have to waste time in your film dealing with the actual racing.  which leads to the inevitable big game type things that are really just boring except for the parts that are made funny.  there were about a million people in this, everyone wanted to be hilarious and many were, unfortunately the film could not hold them all.  many people really only had a scene or two to show what they could do because the film is so crowded.  i can imagine the first cut of this film being like 4 1/2 hours and them trying to edit it down and ending up with this.  anchorman was great because the story is practically non-existent which left the entire film to just be as funny as possible.  this had a lot of different story threads and it didnt feel like they were being quite balanced right.  amy adams for instance is practically a background player in 2 scenes before she has 1 or 2 where she gets to 'do' something.  even ferrells character i thought could've been funnier if he had been a little more deluded, so while i appreciate that they tried to do something different other than just transplanting anchorman to a redneck nascar setting, it probably would've worked better had they just done that.  though some of the wounded child stuff with gary cole was the best stuff in the film.  reilly is good, though the 'shake n bake' gets a little old.  from the outtakes at the end though its clear he actualy is really really funny but you dont get to see that much of it in the finished film.  cohen is great too but again, i wish the film had been a little more focused.  if you're just looking to laugh, its pretty damn funny, but from a storytelling standpoint its kind of a mess.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on August 04, 2006, 09:40:32 PM

whats the grade brotha?

c?
why do you need a grade?

i like grade better.  i dont like stars.  grade is super discipline

pete

they shouldn't have featured that much kickass racing; nobody really gave a shit about the cool driving.  anchorman didn't feature any good reporting, y'know?  I felt like they had fewer funny scenes and situations but allowed the actors to really perform and deliver their lines.  still, I don't understand why they had to cut out all the funny parts from the trailer.  the kids were in it too much, and they just weren't that funny.  I felt like the guys with a few lines in there probably got a lot of funny lines.  with a good editor and studio exec who doesn't meddle in, it probably could've been as funny as anything.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I Love a Magician

I thought the first hour or so was really funny. Once the dad comes back in it loses steam.

Weak2ndAct

This is no masterpiece of cinema-- but goddamnit, I laughed a whole lot.  I could give my gripes about dry points and moments and character arcs, like I did when I first saw 'Anchorman.'  I think this will hold up on subesquent viewings-- and I'm already impatiently waiting for the dvd w/ hours of outtakes and deleted scenes. 

I love me some cougar.