Enduring Love

Started by MacGuffin, August 29, 2004, 07:03:54 PM

MacGuffin

Release Date: September 17, 2004 (limited).

Starring: Daniel Craig, Samantha Morton, Rhys Ifans, Bill Nighy, Alexandra Aitken

Directed by: Roger Michell

Premise: Lives cross and foundations are shaken for the men who attempted to rescue the passengers of a hot-air balloon accident.

Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i was really excited for this movie during the first 30 seconds of the trailer. then i realized that it's about a stalker. and that's boring.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

I'm seeing this on sunday so I'll let all you fucks know how good it is.

Ghostboy

I'll beat you to it!  :twisted:

It starts off brilliantly, continues along brilliantly, and at about the one hour mark starts to go off the deep end and gets a little too nutty for its own good. But it's really well made and the performances are great and for the first hour it seriously is a pretty damn creepy film. Psychological horror in the Polanski vein.

Roger Michell is emerging as a really exciting filmmaker -- between this and The Mother, he's had a pretty swell year.

I'd also like to mention Entertainment Weekly's description of it in the fall movie preview, which isn't quite accurate but is really damn funny: "Imagine The Talented Mister Ripley with a hot air balloon in place of Phillip Seymour Hoffman."

ono

Seems like a really bad title for what the movie seems to be about.

Ghostboy

I haven't seen the trailer so I'm not sure how they're marketing it, but the title does work -- it's not a great title by any means, but its accurate to the themes of the film. Although said themes are somewhat muddled in their presentation....people will leave the theater wondering what the fuck its actually about.

cine

So I've already got my ticket for it. Non-refundable. At least I will enjoy it, yes? I was putting my trust in Michell and the actors.

Ghostboy

Yeah, no doubt. I'd pay to see it again, flaws and all, just because I found it fascinating -- and when it works, it really works. I'll take a challenging but flawed film over a flawless but straightforward film almost any day.

cine

Ah very nice. I always put my trust in you, GB.  :wink:

Ghostboy

Alas, I imagine many have been let down many times for putting their trust in my opinion.