Jackie Chan in new police story

Started by pete, July 10, 2004, 09:39:43 AM

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

jackie chan films have been sh*tty for ther past 5 years....they are boring, unimaginative and quasi-ghetto hyperboyle ..they are way too kitcshy, cliched and he even lowered his standards and worked with jennifer love hewitt........thats pretty sad......i do give this guy props for doing his crack head stunts and sh*t like that...but really, whats the difference between a typical chan film vs. a segal, lundgren, and van dame film?.....they are all the same sh*t......

pete

you don't think it looks like he's doing the crackhead stunts again in this one?  plus, his choreography is still good, way better than anything else out there.
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

I love the Police Story series! This is great! Can't wait!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

SHAFTR

I saw one scene from the Original Police Story...the fight through all the glass...when he falls through the glass canopy.  That scene is incredible...just incredible.  Is there a good dvd release of the original?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

I think there is a really good DVD but it's on region 2, or whatever region the British are in.
http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/index.php?tle_id=37&art_id=13

there's a great workshop DVD called "Jackie Chan: My Stunts" where he actually went back to the original mall and had a detail breakdown of each individual stunt he did in the movie.  It was really cool.

He should go back to directing!  I think the current Jackie Chan phase is comparable to the Buster Keaton talky phase, I just hope there's a comeback phase.

I also don't think his American movies are THAT much cheesier, or "kitcshy"er than any American movie like The Italian Job or the Matt Damon movie (which Jackie Chan pretty much made in 1998 with Who Am I), it's just that his English is pretty noticeably bad.  I also personally don't think he's a bad actor, when he understands the script that is.
He keeps on trying to make these family films in America that just don't please anybody, he was way funnier in the 80s when his comedy was more tongue in cheek (still slapstick) than the really drawn out dumbed down sequence he's got right now.
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Chan Complains of Limited Roles for Asians

SINGAPORE (AP) Martial arts legend Jackie Chan claims Hollywood limits roles for Asians and says it's time he became a "real actor" by taking on roles other than as a kung fu fighter, a local newspaper reported Friday.

"It's all the same, cop from Hong Kong, cop from China. Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat and I all face the same problem, our roles are limited," said Chan, 50, referring to other Chinese action stars who have sought roles in Western movies.

"Yes, I get treated like a king over there but I'm not happy. I get frustrated when I see them doing things the wrong way but I can't say anything," he told The Straits Times.

The acrobatic, high-flying action hero was in the city-state to promote "New Police Story," a sequel to the 1985 movie that catapulted him to international stardom.

Chan's latest Hollywood film, an adaptation of the Jules Verne classic "Around the World in 80 Days," was a summer dud. Three others "The Medallion," "The Tuxedo" and "Shanghai Knights" with Owen Wilson also received lukewarm responses at the box office.

Although Chan returned to the United States this year for the filming of "Rush Hour III," he said he wants to move away from action movies.

"I've always wanted to change, to become a real actor, like (Oscar winner) Robert DeNiro. I don't want to be seen as an action hero anymore."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

...sorry jackie, but your ass is t.y.p.e.c.a.s.t.e.d.

you will be forever ingrained into the minds of popcorn film goers as that guy w/ bad english but can do crazy stunts[which you do deserve some props] i admire the fact and i think its cute that jackie wants to become a "real" actor but for him to do so he has got to stop doing films that are pure cheese[remember that phrase P :wink: ]as i mentioned earlier the typestyles  of films he does encompass such virtous talents as steven sagal, dolph lungren, and jean claude van damme.  the day i see jackie chan work along these "real" actors or becomes one himself is the day i will glady and sexually lick the dead skin off clint eastwoods neck

good luck jackie.... :yabbse-thumbup:

pete

ah it sucked.  the fights were still kinda cool but it was real embarassing.
again, gonna defend jackie for a little bit, I think a lot of what he does are like business decisions--change of image, going to hollywood...etc.  it's kinda reminscent of Buster Keaton's attempt to switch to talkies.  Jackie differs from the seagals and van dammes of the world in that he's been innovative for at least 20 years of his career--he was a filmmaker/ writier/ choreographer/ producer/ editor...etc., and on top of fighting, he had a lot of brilliant slapstick comedy (not that new and improved 21st century cutesy shit) and things that people nowdays have forgotten.  his contribution in the way action films are shot (that includes staging fights and stunts) is also huge.
but anyways, back to Chan as an actor, I think he's at least better than David Carradine.
- Buster Keaton