House Of Sand And Fog

Started by MacGuffin, December 15, 2003, 05:06:31 PM

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

cine

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

nix

Today was depression day for me. I saw three really good films. 21 grams, elephant and this.

As he's done several times before, Sir Ben blew me away. Connely is amazing as well (not to mention the most beautiful creature on the planet). I really admired the film for it's refusal to take sides. I sympathised for both of the protagonists almost equally (with the slight edge going to Kingsly's character). It's rare and refreshing to find yourself rooting for two people in direct conflict wit eachother. The Deaken's cinematography was emaculate as usual and the first time director seemed to pull everything off effortlessly. My only complaint is the music. It was the only thing that struck me as over the top.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Gamblour.

Quote from: nixToday was depression day for me. I saw three really good films. 21 grams, elephant and this.

Funny, I saw this, 21 Grams, Cold Mountain, and Big Fish all today with a friend, fun stuff, though really weighty material.

More people should see House of Sand and Fog, I'd like to discuss a lot of it. I was surprised at how engaged I got into, almost yelling at the screen, because at first I wanted to side with Connelly, but then the Iranians, and then I realized they're pulling a Do the Right Thing kind of ethical question, and I respect it more for that. The friend I saw it with is a Muslim, so that helped the viewing a little bit, made me take it more seriously and he helped confirm the realistic approach they take with cultural characterizations. Even though his character was really strange, Ron Eldard is a terrible fucking actor, he brought the film down every time he came on. I liked this movie though, I thought it might be a little manipulative, but it avoids it well. And it's Vadim Perelman's first movie, good damn debut.
WWPTAD?

Gloria

Well, 21 grams is not playing anywhere near me......so I decided to go see this film as a second choice.  I was not disappointed.  I agree that Sir Ben blew me away with his performance, but the woman who played his wife was just as good.  This was a heartbreaking film that caused me to think and observe little details.  I also like how it made it very difficult to choose sides and figure out who was "right" and who was "wrong".  Jennifer Connelly was really wonderful and played down her looks for this role (but still was gorgeous).  Overall, this was a great peice of work and I will be thinking about it for a while.

MacGuffin

I wanted to like this movie more, but I just wish the cop character would have been written out. The movie does a great job in setting up both characters and their flaws. And it makes a great case for both parties for the house. But then this "convenient" character of a police officer enters and the movie turns into his story. We learn about his life with his wife and children and his problems at home and so on. This all takes away from and lowers Connely's character and my sympathy for her, because I couldn't believe her character would be associated with him; he does everything for her when she should be going through this personal struggle on her own. I found myself siding the Iranian family more and more. The film's pacing was a bit slow too. However, as mentioned, Ben Kingsley gives a terrific performance.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

I certainly hated the character of the cop, but I don't think he should've been written out. It seemed perfectly believable that Connely's character would latch on to someone like him. And in the end, he's the one who makes it a tragedy. Without him... well, there would be no film at all. I'm not saying, I'm even a big fan of the dude from drop dead fred's performance, but the character is necessary.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

MacGuffin

Quote from: nixWithout him... well, there would be no film at all.

Yes there would have. I'm sure his character was in the better and better written in the book, but he really seemed to be just a complete plot device that could have been written around.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffinYes there would have. I'm sure his character was in the better and better written in the book, but he really seemed to be just a complete plot device that could have been written around.

I saw the cop as the character that kept the story moving.  He kept the two sides from becoming a stale mate.  Neither one of them was backing down, so the cop had to come in to keep things moving.  I agree that the character should have been fleshed out better, but he was meant to be doing the wrong things for the right reasons.  I think that they needed him in the story.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaHe kept the two sides from becoming a stale mate.

Where's the drama in doing that though?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffinWhere's the drama in doing that though?

Otherwise, there would be a standstill, and no character would do anything to back down, you know?  The story has to keep on moving and the cop became that transitional character. If it would have been left at a stale mate, wouldn't that have defeated the purpose of the movie?  The drama would be there, with or without the cop, but the story wouldn't be the same without the cop.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaOtherwise, there would be a standstill, and no character would do anything to back down, you know?

The way the story is now, it didn't even allow for a stalemate (and the movie wouldn't have really stayed that). The Connelly character wasn't pushed as far as she would go for that house given the way her character was presented in the opening. Her character took a back seat to the cop. The only scene I felt she was alone and really lost was when she calls her brother, and that's the way she should have been all along. But even the scene in the driveway (being vague, but you know which one) after which Kingsley 'takes her in', it was because of the cop. She has given up because of and over him. Her feelings and priorities shifted.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Ben Kingsley gives one of the best performances of the year and he isn't being mentioned enough in this thread. In his performance, he conveys a cultural attitude many people suspect of Arab people who move to America: gratitude for its security, but feeling of superiority culturally. Magnificentally, in his portrayal of an Iranian colonel, he never succombs to changing his appearance. He is completetly authentic in transforming his body motions to the point it is never doubted that he is this man. He owns this role. Behind the performance and the achievement of insight into a culture, lies a terribly bad story that even when it gets goofy, can't bring down Kingsley's performance.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetBen Kingsley gives one of the best performances of the year and he isn't being mentioned enough in this thread. In his performance, he conveys a cultural attitude many people suspect of Arab people who move to America: gratitude for its security, but feeling of superiority culturally. Magnificentally, in his portrayal of an Iranian colonel, he never succombs to changing his appearance. He is completetly authentic in transforming his body motions to the point it is never doubted that he is this man. He owns this role. Behind the performance and the achievement of insight into a culture, lies a terribly bad story that even when it gets goofy, can't bring down Kingsley's performance.
u know, for a minute there, i thought that was gonna be a good review.
under the paving stones.