Secretary

Started by boombanglarrabee, October 15, 2003, 11:44:01 PM

boombanglarrabee

This movie sucked.  What a disappointment.  

So did Dickie Roberts, by the way.  I don't know what I was thinking sitting through that crap.

ono

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3624&highlight=secretary

Sad, both threads don't have any replies.  Well, now this one does.

See also:
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=399&highlight=secretary
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3713&highlight=secretary

I liked Secretary, myself.  Could've told you from the previews to stay away from Dickie Roberts, though.

Vile5

The best of Secretary are the performances
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

godardian

I thought Secretary was really good until the last 5 minutes (felt the same way about Laural Canyon).

Have you seen Velvet Goldmine, Vile5?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

i thought secretary was really good until the last hour and forty minutes.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: bonanzatazi thought secretary was really good until the last hour and forty minutes.

classic!

the trailer was completely misleading...

Ghostboy

I sorta liked the last five minutes...they were pretty in a Maggie Gyllenhall sort of way.

Overall, I thought it was decently scripted, excellently performed, badly directed.

Vile5

Quote from: godardian...Have you seen Velvet Goldmine, Vile5?

Christian Bale, Ewan McGregor and JRMeyers in the same movie was a dream for me...it was in Cannes right?
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

MacGuffin

Shainberg & Rokos Say the Right Word
Source: Variety

Secretary director Steven Shainberg has made a deal to develop feature version of Word, a new novel by Coerte Felske. Monster's Ball screenwriter Will Rokos will write the script.

The novel is about a struggling screenwriter in Los Angeles who teaches a powerful producer the finer points of understanding women in hopes of gaining access to industry opportunities.

Felske's first novel, The Shallow Man, is being developed by New Line with Gary Fleder attached to direct. Millennium Girl, about golddiggers who flock to hotspots for men, is being developed as a vehicle for Heather Graham. Scandalocity, a thriller about a New York gossip columnist investigating the death of his former girlfriend, was recently optioned.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i really liked it. a very sweet story, in the end.

even tho it lulled after she got fired, the end did it for me. maggie is so damn hot.

i especially liked the bits when she would play things out in her head and then react to it. also her butt.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

'Fur' flies for Morton in Arbus role

NEW YORK -- Samantha Morton is in negotiations to play Diane Arbus in a biopic of the seminal American photographer's life to be titled "Fur" and to be directed by Steven Shainberg.

Arbus, considered one of the greatest American photographers of the 20th century, was known for creating images that were often bizarre or disturbing. She committed suicide in 1971.

The project reteams Shainberg, who is an avid collector of American photography, with his "Secretary" screenwriter, Erin Cressida Wilson. Wilson is adapting the "Fur" screenplay from Patricia Bosworth's book "Diane Arbus: A Biography."

The film is being produced by the Edward R. Pressman Film Corp., along with Bonnie Timmermann and Vincent Farrell's Iron Films banner.

"Secretary" executive producer Michael Roban will exec produce "Fur" with Alessandro Camon.

Morton stars in the current UA release "Code 46," with Tim Robbins. She received a best actress Oscar nomination for last year's "In America." Her credits also include Steven Spielberg's "Minority Report" and Woody Allen's "Sweet and Lowdown."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinNEW YORK -- Samantha Morton is in negotiations to play Diane Arbus in a biopic of the seminal American photographer's life to be titled "Fur" and to be directed by Steven Shainberg.
YES!

Make this happen and I will be first in line.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Secretary was a good movie, in my opinion.

It brought an uncommon lifestyle into the spotlight and made it normal using a love story that made us get mixed emotions, and ultimately made us "used to it."

The performances were great, and I love how they actually made a movie like this.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Film Student

I dug Secretary quite a bit.  I thought it was extremely sweet.  Funny thing was, even though the storyline was bizarre and a bit racy, it seemed like an ideal date movie.  So I showed it to my girlfriend, who loved it so much she bought it and showed it to her mom and sister, who both loved it.  I then showed it to MY mom and sister, who both loved it as well.  Then I showed it to my best friend, and he hated it.  It just strikes me as odd that it appeals to females so much.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

MacGuffin

Quote from: Film StudentIt just strikes me as odd that it appeals to females so much.

It's not so odd. It's a strong female character, which is very rare. I bet a lot of women identify with Lee.

Skeleton FilmWorks