DAYS OF BEING WILD

Started by Rudie Obias, August 04, 2003, 09:29:00 PM

Rudie Obias

i dunno how many of you film geeks are into wong kar-wai films but i think all of you should definately check our his 1990 release, DAYS OF BEING WILD, despite you're interest in him or not.  this film is so fuckin' amazing!  i haven't been impressed with a film in a long time and i was totally blown away by it.  it's so beautiful and honest.  the shitty thing bout this film is that it's not available in the states so you'd have to order it or buy an import of it.  i bougt mine @ http://www.yesasia.com  it's 15$ and well worth it.  buy it, watch it and enjoy it!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

DAYS OF BEING WILD, which premiered in the U.S. at New Directors/New Films in 1991, has been rarely seen in the states. It is the film that started it all for auteur art film director Wong Kar Wai, exhibiting many of the preoccupations and devices that would characterize his work throughout his career until the present time. The precise, almost melodic slowness of the pacing is reflective of the existential conundrum in which the characters are mired, offsetting the random, fleeting nature of the glimpses of love they are afforded. The first film in Wong's oeuvre that is a product of his happy alliance with cinematographer Christopher Doyle, it is a film of chance, the persistence and terrifying weight of time and memory, and the fortuitous accident that passes for love. The film will open New York's Film Forum November 19th.

Leslie Cheung stars as Yuddy, a vain, sexually predatory orphan whose mother abandoned him with her prostitute sister when he was very young; today, he lackadaisically searches for his birth mother while living his layabout lifestyle funded by his put-upon aunt. He approaches Lai (Maggie Cheung), a snack bar clerk, who rejects him but is haunted by Yuddy's classic line that they were friends for exactly one minute on that exact date; although realizing that he will never care for her she continues to pine for him, turning for solace to a cop (Andy Lau) who duly falls in love with her. Yuddy moves on to Mimi (Carina Lau), a beautiful cabaret dancer who is ultimately unable to maintain her tough facade when she falls for Yuddy; her vulnerability draws in Yuddy's best friend (Jackie Cheung), who idolizes him and is rejected by Mimi. The soap-opera quality of this web of love serves to illustrate the uncontrollable nature of emotions and the fact that they are governed by coincidence, underscoring the rather bleak existentialism of the film. However, the humanity depicted in the actors' stunning performances, and the dreamlike nature of the sequences that effect the impression of memory, redeem the seemingly unredeemable characters.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sal

Cool trailer.  The music was used really well.  Look forward to seeing it.