76th Annual Academy Awards News!!

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 25, 2003, 08:26:34 AM

ono

Quote from: ®edlumWith the academy insisting upon short speeches again this year, who has the potential to pull an Adrian Brody and kiss last years winner, give a heart felt speech, and stop the orchestra from playing so that he/she can say what he/she wants?
Bill Murray.

Of course, he's married, so that wouldn't go over to well, and he's not the type to make a longer speech.

Come to think of it, Adrien Brody's antic really was one of a kind.  You have to have someone with a certain personality to do something like that.  Someone new, and someone who is just experiencing success and doesn't really give a damn what anyone else thinks.  I don't think Charlize Theron or Naomi Watts fits that bill (well, I could see Naomi doing it).  Definitely not Keisha Castle-Hughes (and here I'm talking about the speech-extending; I doubt any of these women would kiss whatever random guy happened to be up there).

SoNowThen

Whichever guys wins, he should grab the award girl (you know, the no-name hotty who stands behind them) around the ass, pull her into him, and plant a big wet one on her, then carry her off the stage in victory -- Oscar in one hand, babe in the other...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenWhichever guys wins, he should grab the award girl (you know, the no-name hotty who stands behind them) around the ass, pull her into him, and plant a big wet one on her, then carry her off the stage in victory -- Oscar in one hand, babe in the other...
Sean Penn will choose to kiss her via satellite.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SoNowThenWhichever guys wins, he should grab the award girl (you know, the no-name hotty who stands behind them) around the ass, pull her into him, and plant a big wet one on her, then carry her off the stage in victory -- Oscar in one hand, babe in the other...

:lol:  Class.

Damn You!! You win this round, Cinephile...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatball

Quote from: Cinephile

Bravo. Bra. Vo.

Chest Rockwell

If I have my way Lost in Translation will sweep the awards and then Scarlett Johannson will somehow win some acting award she wasn't nominated for and then when she accepts the award she kisses Madonna.

ono

Quote from: Chest RockwellIf I have my way Lost in Translation will sweep the awards and then Scarlett Johannson will somehow win some acting award she wasn't nominated for and then when she accepts the award she kisses Madonna.
Why would you even bring that up as a remote possibility.  :shudders:

Pubrick

Quote from: Chest RockwellIf I have my way Lost in Translation will sweep the awards and then Scarlett Johannson will somehow win some acting award she wasn't nominated for and then when she accepts the award she kisses Madonna.
i can't wait till the next "it" girl comes along and u can gain sum perspective on ur obsession.

what happened, were u too late for Zooey Deschanel?
under the paving stones.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Pwhat happened, were u too late for Zooey Deschanel?

Yea, I guess so. I haven't seen All the Real Girls, but aside from Almost Famous and The Good Girl I didn't really like her a whole lot in what I've seen of her (Big Trouble, The New Guy) Now that I think about it, that's not a bad run, I guess. Call me crazy, but she just didn't amaze me in any of the movies I've seen featuring her.

©brad

February 2, 2004
Weinstein Cites Timing for Cold Mountain Oscar Snub

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) — Miramax Films co-chairman Harvey Weinstein was quoted on Sunday as blaming the timing of the release of Cold Mountain for the film's failure to win an Oscar nomination in the best picture category.
In interviews with Time and Newsweek, Weinstein said he opened the highly acclaimed Civil War epic starring Nicole Kidman and Jude Law at Christmastime so that Oscar nominations would fuel box-office sales.

"With the early [Oscar voting] this year, we fell short. There's a lot to do for Academy members, and I don't know how many members we got to. We just plain ran out of people who had seen this movie," Weinstein told Time, which hits newsstands today.

But Cold Mountain did win seven other Oscar nominations from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, including Best Actor for Jude Law and Best Supporting Actress for Renée Zellweger.

It is the first time in 12 years that Walt Disney Co.'s Miramax does not have a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars, but the studio still racked up the most nominations of any studio — 15 — for the third year in a row.

Citing the fact that the Oscars will be held in February this year instead of March, Weinstein told Newsweek, "I think the whole positioning of movies has changed because of this." Other than Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, every best-picture nominee was released prior to December, he said.

As a result, Weinstein said Miramax would move up the release of Neverland, starring Johnny Depp, to October and would aim to release Martin Scorsese's The Aviator in November instead of late December.

Weinstein also told Time that he will be directing his own film "pretty soon, probably the fall." He said the script is finished and the film will be produced by Martin Scorsese and Anthony Minghella, who directed Cold Mountain.

:shock:

WOW!

EDIT:
Aryan Papers- A film by Harvey Weinstein.
context, context, context.

Sleuth

I think somebody posted that somewhere else a few days ago
I like to hug dogs

©brad

Quote from: SlorgI think somebody posted that somewhere else a few days ago

shit, don't tell me that.

Fernando

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: SlorgI think somebody posted that somewhere else a few days ago

shit, don't tell me that.

That's right, last paragraph c-man.

©brad

alright that was rather jackass-ish of me, but atleast it wasn't in the same damn thread just two posts up like some of these other double posts.

i'm sorry, though.  :(  damn, how'd i miss that?