Bride and Prejudice

Started by Ravi, February 16, 2005, 07:40:22 PM

Ravi

Directed by Gurinder Chadha

Written by Gurinder Chadha and Paul Mayeda Berges, based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Starring:

Aishwarya Rai
Martin Henderson
Daniel Gillies
Naveen Andrews
Namrata Shirodkar
MPAA Rating: PG-13

My review, posted at another forum, modified a bit.

Man, was this film a mess. It's too restrained to be enjoyed like a Bollywood film and too cliched to be enjoyed period. The actors had no chemistry. I felt no romantic spark between any of them. Aishwarya Rai gives her usual dull, unintersting performance.

The music wasn't very good.  It needed to be catchier and larger than life.  The English lyrics sound stilted and strange. What works in Hindi obviously does not work in English.

I was surprised to see in the end that Santosh Sivan shot this film. Nothing in the film led me to believe that a great cinematographer shot it. It looks perfectly average.

My advice? Watch a real Indian film instead.

The film is not without its plusses here and there. Nitin Ganatra's obnoxious character is pretty funny. So was the snake dance, which came out of nowhere. Nadira Babbar was very funny.  And I liked that the house was in some disrepair, which gave it a little more of a real feel. There are some little jokes here and there that were humorous. But these little moments are not enough to save the film.

life_boy

I had no plans on seeing the movie because the trailer bugged the shit out of me.  I didn't think there was much left to see that I hadn't already seen with pop music (complete with vinyl scratch at the right moment) and the "when L.A. meets Bombay" catch-lines.  I was a little surprised seeing an "A-" rating from Entertainment Weekly, but I figured it was one of their early year flukes.

What are some "real Indian films" you would recommend?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: life_boyWhat are some "real Indian films" you would recommend?
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6662 ?

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: life_boyWhat are some "real Indian films" you would recommend?
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6662 ?
u should review more movies i havn't heard of in that way.
under the paving stones.