Bridesmaids

Started by modage, May 09, 2011, 10:15:23 PM

polkablues

Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 15, 2011, 10:16:42 PM
40 minures were clearly cut from this film (vegas trip anyone?)

Except the whole point was that they never made it to Vegas because Kristen Wiig screwed it up for them. That was the whole point!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gloria

I really enjoyed this movie.  I had a lot riding on this one -- because I just want to see more female-driven comedies that aren't cookie-cutter romantic comedies.  I feel like the media was making this movie out to be the "last stand" for raunchy comedies starring women (after The Sweetest Thing fell short at the box office and the Sex and the City women became caricatures of their former selves in the movies).  I'm glad Bridesmaids is doing so well, because I hope more movies are made to showcase some great comediennes.  I pretty much agree with a lot of what modage said.  Melissa McCarthy stole every scene she was in.  Kristen Wiig was very good in her role here -- she wasn't a totally sympathetic character, and you could relate to her and her "rock bottom" moments.

Quote from: modage on May 10, 2011, 11:11:49 AM
from my blog:
"Bridesmaids" actually makes you angry at other comedies (particularly those aimed at women) for being so lazy and caricatured that you want to scream "this is how it's done!" Disregard the trailer, it's playing broad to draw a crowd but the film is a lot better and a lot more interesting than it looks.

This.  Totally this.

modage

I've actually been surprised (and angry and disappointed) that several girls I know didn't like this and/or were disappointed by it because it was too "hyped up." I feel like screaming at them, "are you fucking kidding me?"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

It's hard not to enjoy this movie. The more I remember, the more I realized I smiled at the film instead of laugh. A movie like Pineapple Express is more amusing than funny, but the Apatow movies have a way of charming themselves into your viewing and being a little more memorable. There was some legitimate laughs in the film, but now that Apatow formula is starting to show a little age for me, I'm finding the likability factor is still keeping the experience from diminishing in my eyes.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: polkablues on May 15, 2011, 11:29:36 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 15, 2011, 10:16:42 PM
40 minures were clearly cut from this film (vegas trip anyone?)

Except the whole point was that they never made it to Vegas because Kristen Wiig screwed it up for them. That was the whole point!
Yeah, I'm a bit of an idiot...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection