Halliwell's Top 1000

Started by Redlum, June 10, 2005, 02:58:04 PM

Redlum

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/features/story.jsp?story=643558

Looks like an interesting compilation as far as lists go. I've always had second hand copies of Halliwells Film Guide since I was very young. There are some interesting contributions by Directors in this one including Jarmusch, Crowe, Mann, Loach and Lumet.

Also, going by the Times Top 100 and most of these lists, I really should see La Regle De Jeu (which managed to knock Citizen Kane).

And why do people insist on pitting Chaplin and Keaton against one another, its really annoying.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

soixante

One problem with Halliwell is that he only likes 30's and 40's movies, and hates 60's and 70's movies.  He never gave a 70's movie 4 stars, not even Godfather or Taxi Driver.  However, if the film is British and was made in the 40's, it's almost guaranteed a very high rating.  Still, his film books are useful reference tools.
Music is your best entertainment value.