Match cuts.

Started by deathnotronic, April 14, 2005, 01:58:28 PM

deathnotronic

What movies have some very good match cuts (whether it be action match, graphical match, our sound match) that I can check out?

The best example I can think of is 2001: A Space Odyssey, as well as Un Chien Andalou. For action at least. What else?

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Blue Velvet - ear Cuts To the scissors snipping the police tape.

The 39 Steps - scream into a train whistle.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

The Graduate - Jumping from the pool up on a matress, landing in bed with Mrs. Robinson.

Redlum

Quote from: kotteThe Graduate - Jumping from the pool up on a matress, landing in bed with Mrs. Robinson.

Second only to Space Odyssey.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cowboykurtis

id agrue its better
...your excuses are your own...

SHAFTR

Obvious:  beginning of Citizen Kane with the window.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

battlefield earth has a few gems. like sumone shovelling to sumone stabbing.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: ®edlum
Quote from: kotteThe Graduate - Jumping from the pool up on a matress, landing in bed with Mrs. Robinson.

Second only to Space Odyssey.
yes, i love that one.  i love match cuts.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Really they're used quite often and are encouraged as a part of film theory.  Most matches are motion.

Michel Gondry is fucking terrific with them.  I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine since the theater, but I imagine it has a lot of them.  His music videos certainly have great examples.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Stefen

garden state has a few. from someone laughing to crying to exchanging shit. boondock saints also, from brothers being gay, then straight, till a totally diff character being gay.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Match cut in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Close-up of Tuco's gun
cut to : Close-up of Canon fire (that nearly hits Blondie & Tuco)
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

does the sex scene in monty python's flying circus where there's a montage of phallic stuff counts?
context, context, context.

Alethia

the shot from henry fonda's gun firing to the train with claudia cardinale screeching to a halt in the beginning of once upon a time in the west...

Gabe

Where can I see some match cuts frame-by-frame?