official MovieNavigator thread

Started by mutinyco, July 30, 2003, 10:21:09 AM

mutinyco

Sure some films are about inner emotions. Some are good. Generally speaking, I just don't find that interesting or informative in any major way. Human emotions are rather illogical and everybody exists within physical environments. PDL has no intentional social observances -- AS PTA HIMSELF SAID WHEN I SAW HIM. He flat out said he's not interested in saying things with his films, he just gets an idea and goes with it.

Even a 1970s film like Five Easy Pieces, which is inherently a character study, puts a couple of bits of social satire in when Bobby picks up the hitchhikers. It's called adding another layer to your film. Why do you think 28 Days Later is doing so well? I know you hated it, but you're in the  minority. It wasn't the horror aspects that had people talking, but the social commentary.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

haha nice way to arbitrarily refer to 28 Days in an attempt to lavish more attention in another direction. ur just running from the hole ur digging by jumping from random reference/argument to sumthin else, hey u should talk about gays next that'll really change the subject..

so, are u like 57?

warmer/colder..
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

nyc,
Why can't another layer of emotion or thought be put into a film that is still on an emotional level? Does that layer always have to be one of social commentary to be interesting? See, I have no problem with either but you are trying to run your thought on film by saying only one accomplishes a major thing while the other generally doesn't. To make a statement, I've found more magnficent films that add layers about human emotion more so than social commentary. Human emotions lie more in the ambiguilty than social commentary and with social commentary and movies, trying to keep that commentary sane and interesting is harder to manage.

Take a movie like Persona, which adds layers upon layers of things about human emotions. The major mistakes in that film is that in its examination of two people, it has minor moments relating to the horrors of war. It wasn't necessary and even though war is horrible, it took the movie right out of its personal world.  

~rougerum

markums2k

I don't understand why everybody wants mutinyco to explain himself... this happens a lot on these boards.

See, no matter how many times he says it, I'm not going to agree with mutinyco.  And no matter how many times I say it, mutinyco is not going to agree with me.  

If he thought the difference between just 'good' and 'all-time great' in Boogie Nights would have been to end with Dirk in prison... you know... I dunno.  Maybe he's just got a problem with big, swingin' dicks.  Him saying that doesn't really support his argument about maturity or the 70s or whatever the fuck everybody is talking about.  But I'm getting away from my point.

In the end, sometimes members from both sides of the issue say "good point" and drop it, but MOSTLY these things drag out for 7 pages and nobody really feels any better about anything.

So, I guess what I mean is... carry on.  *pulls up a chair*

mutinyco

57? Hardly. Try taking 30 years off that. And I don't know what hole you're talking about, but my reference to 28 Days Later was right on the ball. This film is pointing the direction for the future. Watch as social observations start finding their way back into movies. It was really the corporate '80s that did away with that. Spielberg's been all over it lately. So is Michael Moore. What do you think Gangs of New York was trying to be?

When Ridley Scott made Black Hawk Down, which I consider dreadful, he commented that he was only interested in the primary action and nothing else. His logic was that the foreground was so interesting that he didn't need a middle or background. Well, to continue with his metaphor, if you shoot a movie and visually only focus on your foreground and have nothing happening anywhere else, you're going to have a shallow image.

Remember, people live within physical environments. If all you're interested in are characters' immediate emotions you're going to have a shallow film as far as I'm concerned. Emotion is simply one layer. That's what Hollywood films do. Just because you're approaching your material in a more artistically creative manner, if all you're doing is focussing on emotion there's not a huge difference.

And as for Persona, the movie is only 85 minutes. If you're making a 3-hour film with multiple characters spanning time, then you'd damn well better offer me something more hefty in conclusion than emotions and a ripoff of another movie. (You could never separate Nashville from its politics...) Remember, every time somebody blatantly steals something from another film it's another lost opportunity for creative originality. Base your ideas on life observations or literature or whatever -- not other movies. Other people's movies should only serve an example of what's already been done. Movies are simply a medium for communicating ideas.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Julius Orange

Quote from: mutinyco57? Hardly. Try taking 30 years off that.

so you'r 27 for sure, am i dead on!? This is fun! :P  :P

Thanks
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

mutinyco

Nope. Not 27. But I'm not saying anything more than that.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

My interviews with Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed for Thirteen are up. If you wanna see pictures of two hot girls check it out. Just remember, they're only 15!

http://movienavigator.org/thirteenpress.htm

*Note -- it might take a while to load if you're on a phone line.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

I gave you a link to two beautiful girls and you're asking ME how old I am...

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Is that a fire in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Look at the girls. Forget about my age. Somewhere in the 20s.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

No, I'm not. Though I certainly wouldn't mind to be that age again.

-St. Joe

©brad

Quote from: mutinycoNo, I'm not. Though I certainly wouldn't mind to be that age again.

ahh, so again would denote that ur older, but not as old as 27. so im guessin 25.

to explain-

he expresses remorse over wanting to be 21 again, but being 22 and 23 isnt all that different than 21, so he has to be old enough to where he would miss being 21. therefore, im guessin 25 b/c he said he wasnt 27.

ooor, maybe he's like 29. yea, that might be right.

mutinyco

You guys have way too much free time...

-St. Joe

Pubrick

those chicks are fuckin sweet tho.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

-St. Joe