Yasujiro Ozu

Started by cine, September 17, 2003, 02:52:57 PM

Reel

Quote from: Find Your Magali on August 07, 2021, 10:41:25 AM
I have, in my late 40s, come to absolutely love the cinema of Yasujirō Ozu.
I've worked my way through many of his most notable post-war films in the past three years.

I jumped right in with Tokyo Story, because I didn't want to be influenced by already understanding Ozu's style. I wanted to see if the film would come to me, and it absolutely did. Looking forward to rewatches, because I'm not sure if I'll ultimately end up ranking it as my #1 Ozu. But it's surely a masterpiece.

After that I  have watched, in this order:

-- Good Morning
-- Late Spring
-- Floating Weeds
-- Early Summer
-- An Autumn Afternoon

All wonderful, in their own rights. Funny, sad, playful, devastating, all in turn.

Looking forward to watching more Ozu. For me, there's something about the pace of the films that's so comforting in these stressful times; even acknowledging that he's showing a world of post-war Japan that was not without its own pressures and problems.

Cool! Thanks for sharing.  I've also never seen an Ozu and have been considering starting with Late Autumn or Spring.. there's a few of them on HBOmax:

Late Autumn
Late Spring
Tokyo Story

Find Your Magali

Of those three, I think I'd recommend Late Spring as an Ozu opener. But you really cannot go wrong.

Reel

Thanks, I was planning to do that. This morning I checked the TCM app and they've added

Bakushu
Tokyo Twilight
Early Autumn

Are there any of those you'd recommend before Late Spring? Just curious

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Reelist on August 20, 2021, 06:17:02 AM
Thanks, I was planning to do that. This morning I checked the TCM app and they've added

Bakushu
Tokyo Twilight
Early Autumn

Are there any of those you'd recommend before Late Spring? Just curious

Bakushu is Early Summer, which is very very good. It's would be fine to start with. I haven't watched the other two yet. They're in the Criterion Eclipse "Late Ozu" box. Tokyo Twilight has a very good reputation.

Reel

Ahh Ok, I'll stick with Late Spring since that's the earliest of the bunch ('49)