Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

72teeth

I know sure its true but i just feel bad you cant get passed that fact... consider nothing, just let it warsh over
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

pete

the script is different enough - he's doing that 12-scene movie thing again a la pulp and inglorious basterds. I'm not fully sold on the movie, but it's definitely no 3:10 to Yuma.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

children with angels

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on June 17, 2012, 01:38:19 AM
This looks like an utterly boring retread of a hundred (a thousand?) other movies. I don't care how many anachronistic proto-funk tracks you shoehorn into the soundtrack. We've seen it before.

There are a hundred (a thousand?) other comic, race-revenge, Spaghetti Western-meets-Sweet Sweetback Badass Song mashups?

It's strange, but the whole thing that defines the second half of Tarantino's career has only just occurred to me: they're all about the way exploitation films allow for the wish-fulfilling revenge of the oppressed: the 70s female-empowerment kickass heroine and rape-revenge movie (crossed with the downtrodden samurai), the Jewish vengeance narrative, and now the Blaxploitation fantasy ("A baadasssss nigger is coming back to collect some dues..."). What exactly he achieves with that whole framework by doing it so self-consciously, and whether they're successful, is another matter. But the pattern itself has only just struck me - maybe it was super-obvious to everyone else...!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on June 17, 2012, 01:38:19 AM
This looks like an utterly boring retread of a hundred (a thousand?) other movies. I don't care how many anachronistic proto-funk tracks you shoehorn into the soundtrack. We've seen it before.

Anachronisms, eh?
I guess we could just call it 'Steampunk' and get away with it!
Enough luke-warmly inspired wannabes seem to think that's a good buzz-word to slather their Kickstarter description in, so why can't it work here!?

Maybe next from QT we'll get a tale set in Medieval times featuring Queen and AC/DC, possibly centered around a Knight.

socketlevel

Quote from: pete on June 17, 2012, 03:16:00 AM
the script is different enough - he's doing that 12-scene movie thing again a la pulp and inglorious basterds. I'm not fully sold on the movie, but it's definitely no 3:10 to Yuma.

ya i read the script too, and it could have been so much better if it wasn't so over the top. i read it, really digging it and now that I'm seeing the way he's treating the scenes it just feels tired and old tarantino.

might just be the trailer, and cut to get the tarantino crowd, so i'll hold out until i see it.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

The trailers make it seem like Kill Bill 3, but I have a strong feeling they are misleading. I hope it's closer to Inglourious Basterds.

pete

according to the script, it should be closer to Inglorious - less of an adventure/journey, more of a series of long scenes.
- Buster Keaton

Pwaybloe

Quote from: pete on July 02, 2012, 03:27:14 AM
according to the script, it should be closer to Inglorious - less of an adventure/journey, more of a series of long scenes.

Ha!  Exactly. 

Jeremy Blackman

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a good long Tarantino scene.

pete

- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Anthony LaPaglia Exited 'Django Unchained,' Says Production Was "Out Of Control"
Source: Playlist

As "Django Unchained" made its way in front of cameras, Quentin Tarantino saw both the cast and script for his upcoming slavery/western/vengeance pic change as production moved along. Joseph Gordon-Levitt had to bail on his small role in the film, Kevin Costner couldn't commit to his role either, Sacha Baron Cohen had to bow out, and Kurt Russell also exited the picture (and while Jonah Hill did initially turn down the movie due to scheduling, he was able to join later on, albeit in a different role). And it looks like yet another actor left the project over timing.

As his shooting days kept getting changed, Aussie actor Anthony LaPaglia found the schedule between "Django Unchained" running up against his role in Robert Connolly's Julian Assange film "Underground," which he signed on for this spring. And when push came to shove, he sided with Connolly who he had worked with before on "Balibo" -- and he doesn't mince words about what he saw happening on Tarantino's film. "The production was just out of control, over-budget, it was everywhere. I had to formally withdraw. They recast it and they still haven't shot anything. I could have said nothing and just hung out, I could be there shooting it now," he told Australian site News, about the film which wrapped at the end of July.

And it seems the filmmakers thought LaPaglia would and should have bailed on "Underground" to keep waiting to work with Tarantino. "The people at 'Django,' their attitude more or less was, 'Just dump the other film,' but I couldn't do it out of respect to Rob Connolly, out of respect to the material, out of respect to the commitment I'd made," he said, noting that if he bailed on "Underground" it might have caused the entire film to collapse, as financing was raised and backed on his name.

Originally, LaPaglia was going to feature alongside Joseph Gordon-Levitt, with the pair playing "mean brothers." In the script we read, these are some pretty small parts, amounting to only about 12 pages, but they participate in a comedic and crucial key scene near the end of the movie. But Tarantino has also clearly been changing things since then, so it remains to be seen whether those roles are still in the movie.

Regardless, his comments are an interesting perspective on the making the film. "Django Unchained" opens on Christmas Day.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

that's sad in the sense that it's true that you find a lot of people with that mentality of "you're doing what movie? get out of that, fuck that, come here", with no regard to principles or any other normal human concern. yet it's also true that is very likely we will never hear of that anthony la plagia other movie ever again other that in this note, as many other la plagia items in his filmography. you just gotta do the right thing and enjoy yourself....a career can't be based on fame search or money.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I'm underwhelmed.

Hopefully the trailers are exaggerating the lightness of the film. Because that would be massively disappointing.