House Of Sand And Fog

Started by MacGuffin, December 15, 2003, 05:06:31 PM

modage

DreamWorks Home Entertainment have just announced the powerful House of Sand and Fog for release on March 30th. The film, starring Jennifer Connely and Ben Kingsley, will come with an anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks, and a selection of subtitles. Bonus materials, unfortunately, haven't been announced yet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

I just saw this (after dragging my g/f to it) and enjoyed it.  Ben Kingsley blew me away and I hope he wins the oscar, of the nominees his performance was by far the best.  I still don't buy Jennifer Connely as that good of an actress.  Every movie of her I see her in...do you know what I see?  That's right, Jennifer Connely.  She seems to have about 3 expressions (good ones, but still only 3) that she relies on.

Now the cop character...my main problem with him (besides his line deliveries) were the scenes when we left Massoud or Kathy's point of view and followed the cop to his house or to work.  I think that really hurt the film.  It is best being told from only two point of views.  I do understand that much over a house, if any of you live in a house that means something, especially 2nd generation homes.  Again, Kingsley was phenomenal.

EDIT: At one point I thought that perhaps the film takes place about 10 years ago.  Reason is in the son's bedroom is a Super Nintendo poster and an old mac computer.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Further Details
Dreamworks have kindly sent over the disc specs for the release of House of Sand and Fog which stars Oscar winning actors Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly. The disc will be available to own from the 30th March this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $26.99. We hope to bring you some menu shots shortly, but for now though here is the disc specs:  

-1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
-English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
-Audio Commentary with Director, Novelist & Actor Ben Kingsley
-Deleted Scenes with Director Commentary
-Behind the Scenes Featurette & Photo Gallery
-Audition Tape for Shohreh Aghdashloo (Naderah Behrani)
-English, French and Spanish subtitles
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

new guy

but seriously, the worst part of the film is when she approaches Kingsley's character and shouts "GIMME BACK MY HOUSE!"

damn that Gibson.

cine

Quote from: new guybut seriously, the worst part of the film is when she approaches Kingsley's character and shouts "GIMME BACK MY HOUSE!"

damn that Gibson.
It's funny because the joke is already old. Congrats.

NEON MERCURY

spoilers are in dis bitch

my impressions:

-the acting is solid all through out...even the cop IMO.....-its the most beautifully shot film in 2003..deakins is phucking incredible..reminded me of some of the thin red lines's  gorgeous shots...especially the on ewhere the cop first speaks w/ kingsley and gives him a fake name and tries to coerce him into selling the house back or he will deport him.....after he leaves the house the shot of him walking through the fron tyard and the nightime fog and the trees..wonderful sh*t...also, the shot of the fog rolling from the hills downwrd.....gorgeous...
-i like sound of kingsley's wife ..she would make a great lounge singer....
-the music was great..i'm a sucker from some piano sh*t....
-after watching some making of sh*t on the dvd..i got a better understanding of the final act of the film....while watching the film it seemed way to over the top at times.....and overly dramatic, etc........BUT the director wanted ithe film to serves as a greek tragedy..so, now i understand its heavy handedness..and its very dark and depressing ending...
-my only gripe would be the "super nintendo" poster on the kids wall...bu tthat it.......
-lastly, people always mention connely and docks..sh*t,  now its connely and bathtubs..this and requiem....creepy.......

Stefen

those impressions sucked. neon mercury would have done a better job.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Stefenthose impressions sucked. neon mercury would have done a better job.

:( .....

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

EDIT: Theere are semi spoilers abound.

So i saw this movie and it made me very very upset. The whole cop storyline pissed me off cause he falls in love with connely so easily, and then fucks everything up. I used to like ron eldard, now i hate him.

cine

Quote from: StefenSo i saw this movie and it made me very very upset. The whole cop storyline pissed me off cause he falls in love with connely so easily, and then fucks everything up. I used to like ron eldard, now i hate him.
"Spoilers"....... ?

Stefen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: StefenSo i saw this movie and it made me very very upset. The whole cop storyline pissed me off cause he falls in love with connely so easily, and then fucks everything up. I used to like ron eldard, now i hate him.
"Spoilers"....... ?

I'm sorry :o(

Finn

I just watched this last night and I thought it was very good. You can tell that the same guy who wrote In the Bedroom would write this. Once it reaches the ending, it's very dark, distrubing and powerful.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: QuoyleYou can tell that the same guy who wrote In the Bedroom would write this.

But it's not the same guy.

Andre Dubus (father) wrote Killings on which In The Bedroom was based. Andre Dubus III (son) wrote the House Of Sand and Fog novel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: QuoyleYou can tell that the same guy who wrote In the Bedroom would write this.

But it's not the same guy.

Andre Dubus (father) wrote Killings on which In The Bedroom was based. Andre Dubus III (son) wrote the House Of Sand and Fog novel.

that doesn't make sense. wouldn't it be grandson???

i watched this movie and was completely blown away. when i was watching the movie, i was totally with it. thinking back on it, it really isn't THAT great, but still very powerful. ben kingsley really was great (much better than sean penn, imo). his performance brought me to tears, and the only other performance i can think of that ever did that was tom cruise's in magnolia.

i also did not like the cop character. there were scenes with him that i was just like - "why the fuck is this in the movie? this should have been cut out." pretty much every scene he was in w/o jennifer. and what asshole cop brags about planting drugs on a man on parole? wifebeater or no, the guy is on his first date and letting out some private shit (while also enabling jennifer to drink). Mickey Buntz... you're on my list...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls