The Shipping News

Started by Finn, January 14, 2004, 05:11:48 PM

Finn

This was one of my favorite movies of 2001. I thought it was really under-rated at the time of it's release. Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and the rest of the cast are just wonderful. I think this is clearly Lasse Hallström's best film. I think my favorite scenes take place in the newspaper building, the conversations between Quoyle and Wavey and the great cinematography and score.

Live World Premiere Video:

Great Poster:
http://www.impawards.com/2001/shipping_news.html
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Raikus

It went under the radar for the public, but most critical opinions I heard about it built it up way too much. It was a good film, but not exceptional*.

*opinion
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ono

Funny, most critics I read dumped on this film while I really liked it.  I guess they obsessed too much with the differences between the film and the book.  I mean, it's a film with two great actors, Kevin Spacey, and Julianne Moore, and they're both top notch in a riveting story.  What more could you want?

cine

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaWhat more could you want?
A better story.

modage

i never saw it although i thought it was funny how before its release it was such 'sure-fire oscar bait' and when it came out and got bad reviews, it no longer had an audience.  good cast, so i wouldnt be opposed to seeing it anyways, and although my girlfriend has tried to get me to rent it a buncha times its not at the top of my list.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

I think it should have been nominated for a lot more Oscars than it was (but I guess any would be more than 0).
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

can't say I thought this was any good

Finn

Does any find the character's names really unusual??? Like Qouyle, Wavey, Agnus, Bunny and particularly Nutbeam. I can't remember whether it's Nutbeam, Nutballs, Needleballs or Needledick. I thought the scene where the townspeople get drunk and tear up his boat is hilarious.