Altman's comments on the lowest common denominator

Started by SoNowThen, December 30, 2003, 10:57:38 AM

godardian

Quote from: Pas Rapport

Admit his comment was dumb at once.

Oh, en garde! :)  I'll admit nothing more than that his comment was an off-the-cuff, throwaway, joke-y remark, a purposely exaggerated reaction based on a more or less accurate perception.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Stefen

its not the 14 year olds fault that they are sold crap. They usually don't have the means to seek out what is good because it is never marketed to them. The consumers don't make the fads, the MTV's, The Cosmopolitans, The Sprint Wireless Halftime reports do. The downfall of artistic society therein lies with the above fadmakers, Money is what it is about, and unfortunately movies like Magnolia, Dancer In The Dark, Brazil and the like are not what people want to see. Everyone knows that "regular" society would rather see Arnie in a terminator movie say "I'll be back" in endless sequels than see something that they have to think about. And thats not the 14 year olds problem. It's ours as consumers buying into what were told we "NEED"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

bonanzataz

i was 14 in 1999. that was the year of fight club and american beauty and fun good movies. pulp fiction was my favorite movie when it came out. i think i used to be smart, but as the years went on i became corrupted by the internet and drugs. now my favorite movies are xxx and anger management.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: godardianI like Altman's comment..

Oh yeah, banning certain groups of society based on their age, sex or race from culture and information is really a good idea. Someone else thought about it before Altman and you though,

:lol:
classic

---- so, Taz, you're only 18/19???? Crazy. I wish I'd made as many shorts as you when I was that age!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

altman needs to learn how to put the freaks up front.  then the 14 year old boys might come around.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02altman needs to learn how to put the freaks up front.  then the 14 year old boys might come around.
I hope that was a joke.

Pas

Pubrick

altman's right, pas is right

altman's pretty old.
under the paving stones.