REALLY SWEET FINAL RANK JUST FOR FUN ULTIMATE XIXAX LIST

Started by SoNowThen, June 20, 2003, 11:50:46 AM

SoNowThen

Are we gonna do this whore, or what?

Like modernage, GT, and myself discussed. 25 top films, in real order. No ties, no extras, no "nor particular order" (though I myself am fond of those).

Tina says: "Start your engines"
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I would like to take this time to announce that I hate lists and really small text and I will take no part in this.  No sir
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

um, how is this different from the other million boring as fuck list threads already up?

i feel a lockin comin on.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

gentlemen, gentlemen, I had no intention to anger or annoy you. Only post if you must. Myself and some fellow xixaxers were discussing this yesterday. There is a point system and so on...

I had hoped that the thread would only be lists, but I guess that is quashed now.

Also, as an idea, edits should be allowed, so that the lists are constantly evolving...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

25.magnolia
24.shawshank
23.pi
22.minority report
21.fight club
19.in the bedroom
18.the limey
17.traffic
16.gangs of new york
15.adaptation
14.Jesus' son
13.talk to her
12.fargo
11.8 1/2
10.lost highway
9.blue velvet
8.fire walk with me
7.mulholland drive
6.fear and loathing in las vegas
5.American Beauty
4.Short Cuts
3.Tigerland
2.The Godfather Trilogy
1.REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

BTW-this always changes

EDIT: just one more thing: if you were wondering why no one was ready and willing to participate in the beginning refer to IDLE CHATTER PAGE 3  SUBJECT NUMBER 39 containing 7 PAGES started by usermane GRAND EPIC w/91 REPLIES and 1166 VIEWS...... :wink:  :lol:

ono

Are we posting opinions of favorites or of bests?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02definitely favorites.

i wonder if my list gave it away :roll:  :wink:

ono

Well, mine is kind of both, though some I like better than others, and some are just brilliant and favorites:[list=1]
  • Magnolia
  • American Beauty
  • Fight Club
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Eyes Wide Shut
  • Waking Life
  • Annie Hall
  • Donnie Darko
  • Clockwork Orange, A
  • Casablanca
  • When Harry Met Sally...
  • Groundhog Day
  • Contact
  • Princess Bride, The
  • Dead Poets Society
  • Singin' in the Rain
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Dancer in the Dark
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Storytelling
  • Big Lebowski, The
  • Trois couleurs: Rouge
  • Rushmore[/list:o]It's hard to truncate a list like that, but I think this is pretty good.

Oh, and I noticed NEON MERCURY put his in reverse order.  Not sure if that's for points or whatever, but Magnolia is #1, so that's 25 points for that.  Yeah.

©brad

SoNowThen

Reverse order seems cool:

25. Reservoir Dogs
24. Big Deal On Madonna Street
23. Badlands
22. Carnal Knowledge
21. Catch 22
20. Zelig
19. Nashville
18. The Last Temptation Of Christ
17. Amarcord
16. Fight Club
15. Short Cuts
14. Salesman
13. LA Confidential
12. Boogie Nights
11. All The Real Girls
10. Apocalypse Now
9. Walkabout
8. Ghostbusters
7. Glengarry Glen Ross
6. A Clockwork Orange
5. Raging Bull
4. 8 1/2
3. My Life To Live
2. Taxi Driver
1. Magnolia    (surprise surprise)

Alethia

25. TIE: Chinatown and Schindler's List
24. Three Colors Trilogy
23. Easy Rider
24. ET
23. Pulp Fiction
22. City Lights
21. Singin' In the Rain
20. A Clockwork Orange
19. Touch of Evil
18. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
17. It's a Wonderful Life
16. Annie Hall
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
14. Goodfellas
13. East of Eden
12. On the Waterfront
11. Nashville
10. Magnolia
 9. Shoot the Piano Player
 8. Rebel Without A Cause
 7. Hannah and Her Sisters
 6. Raging Bull
 5. The Deer Hunter
 4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
 3. Melvin and Howard
 2. Dr. Strangelove
 1. Vertigo

SoNowThen

Alethia

okay - then replace them with Three Colors: Blue, and It Happened One Night

SoNowThen