Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenI'd have to say that PTA, Fellini (despite some protests), and Kubrick are fairly non-political.

:shock:

Kubrick non-political?

Have you seen A Clockwork Orange? Paths of Glory? FMJ?

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SoNowThenI'd have to say that PTA, Fellini (despite some protests), and Kubrick are fairly non-political.

:shock:

Kubrick non-political?

Have you seen A Clockwork Orange? Paths of Glory? FMJ?

Yeah, I'd say that Fellini is the only one there who could be said to be particularly non-political. PTA and Kubrick are powerful, non-didactic storytellers, but there's an unmistakeable political/socially conscious element in their work. Read Tom Tykwer's essay on Punch-Drunk Love, even.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

classical gas

wasn't 'Amarcord' a little political?

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: godardianAnd he did call a couple of currently very popular "alternative" rock bands "Oldplay and Radiodead,"

Before this moment, I was considering buying a Morrissey album.

You still should. Really. He's brilliant- he just doesn't seem to like anything that came on the scene after he did unless it sounds more or less like him. He has a very odd mix of astonishing egotism and tireless self-deprecation. He is the modern Oscar Wilde.  

The best Morrissey is Vauxhall and I. But you should go for the Smiths stuff first, if you haven't already. Thom Yorke used to always say that if he could have written one song in his life, he would've written "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" (from The Queen is Dead).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

IMO:

Amarcord was basically about nostalgia
A Clockwork Orange blasted each and every side, didn't take a stand with one political position at all.
Nothing PTA has ever done has anything to do with politics.

It could be argued about FMJ, but I get way more on just the process of men being turned into killers (with the usual Stanley bits of detached irony). Used certain politics for story purposes, but I don't think was trying to deliver a message based on those politics. It was more a setting thing.

I really think these good filmmakers don't take a position (in their films) with one side or another. They present the absurdity of it all. A good storyteller touches upon many many things, a shitty storyteller says "this is the right way to think and believe".

Anyway --- sorry for taking the Radiohead thread way off topic. If this needs to be continued, let's go to PM's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(back to music)

Iron Lung could be the best song off of Bends. The more I listen to that album, the more this song sticks out.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: godardianThe best Morrissey is Vauxhall and I. But you should go for the Smiths stuff first, if you haven't already. Thom Yorke used to always say that if he could have written one song in his life, he would've written "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" (from The Queen is Dead).

i have that album (vauxhall).  i like "why dont you find out for yourself" and "speedway".  of what i've heard i like vauxhall and actually "my early burglary years" (although its a rarities album) better than any of his other solo stuff.  "jack the ripper" live is possibly my favorite song of his.

doesnt thom also mention on the 'meeting people is easy' something about, if he is to some kid, what the smiths were to him growing up, how that would be incredible?   something to that effect?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: godardianThe best Morrissey is Vauxhall and I. But you should go for the Smiths stuff first, if you haven't already. Thom Yorke used to always say that if he could have written one song in his life, he would've written "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" (from The Queen is Dead).

i have that album (vauxhall).  i like "why dont you find out for yourself" and "speedway".  of what i've heard i like vauxhall and actually "my early burglary years" (although its a rarities album) better than any of his other solo stuff.  "jack the ripper" live is possibly my favorite song of his.

doesnt thom also mention on the 'meeting people is easy' something about, if he is to some kid, what the smiths were to him growing up, how that would be incredible?   something to that effect?

Yeh, "Speedway" is great, and Burglary Years is an excellent comp. There's a studio version of "Jack the Ripper" produced by Mick Ronson (a b-side from the Your Arsenal sessions). It's very good in a very different way.

There was once a HUGE overlap between Smiths/Morrissey fans and Radiohead fans.

Ghostboy

The last time Radiohead came to Dallas (in 98 ), they spent hours perusing their favorite American record store, Bill's Records & Tapes and were overjoyed to find a large selection of Smiths stuff on vinyl, more than they had ever seen, apparently.

Jumping back a few posts, I really don't like Coldplay at all. But that's just me.

Jeremy Blackman

Alright... well I just "got my hands on" some Smiths albums, and I like Meat is Murder. "Barbarism Begins at Home" and "How Soon Is Now" are very good (I actually recognize the latter). One thing about the Smiths, though... I think their songs are at least twice as long as they need to be. Seriously.

I just listened to HTTT after leaving it alone for a long time. It really is a masterpiece, and maybe the best thing Radiohead has done. I forgot how insanely great it is. I think I might have abused it at first.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAlright... well I just "got my hands on" some Smiths albums, and I like Meat is Murder. "Barbarism Begins at Home" and "How Soon Is Now" are very good. One thing about the Smiths, though... I think their songs are at least twice as long as they need to be. Seriously.

I just listened to HTTT after leaving it alone for a long time. It really is a masterpiece, and maybe the best thing Radiohead has done. I forgot how insanely great it is. I think I might have abused it at first.

"Barbarism" and "How Soon" are a couple of the longest items in their catalog, though... and I agree with you about that point, the length. They're good, but not my favorites. Most of the songs on Meat is Murder are longer than the "typical" Smiths song, come to think of it...

Try "Panic," "Shakespear's Sister," "London," or "Sheila Take a Bow." All under 3 minutes, and come to my mind sooner when I think "Smiths."

I know where you can, um, "Get your hands on" these and more. PM me if at all interested.

modage

best of... volume one is pretty essential.  two is good too, and hatful of hollow.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian"Barbarism" and "How Soon" are a couple of the longest items in their catalog, though... and I agree with you about that point, the length. They're good, but not my favorites.

What kind of Smiths fan are you? A crack on your head is what you get for not liking.

Quote from: themodernage02best of... volume one is pretty essential.  two is good too, and hatful of hollow.

"The World Won't Listen" compilation is great also.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: godardian"Barbarism" and "How Soon" are a couple of the longest items in their catalog, though... and I agree with you about that point, the length. They're good, but not my favorites.

What kind of Smiths fan are you? A crack on your head is what you get for not liking.

Quote from: themodernage02best of... volume one is pretty essential.  two is good too, and hatful of hollow.

"The World Won't Listen" compilation is great also.

I think The World Won't Listen is fantastic, too. Probably their true "best." But all the comps are worthwhile.

On "Barbarism"... I know, I know. It's not that I dislike, just that I would've kept it shorter. I think they're at their very best when they're succinct- in fact, I'd call their usual succinctness one of their most admirable qualities.

aclockworkjj

watched Meeting People Is Easy again for the first time in awhile.  mad crazyyyyy!

causes seizures though, so watch close.

russiasusha

greenplastic.com

UPDATED: More Coachella Rumors/Urb Magazine Article

We continue to get reports that Radiohead is playing this year's Coachella festival in Indio, California. The latest report states that this month's issue of Urb magazine confirms this, as well as an appearance by the reunited Pixies (named as a big Radiohead influence).
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck