Josef Rödl

Started by Spike, September 14, 2003, 07:10:48 AM

Spike

This thread is probably useless because no one knows Josef Rödl to be honest, but he's a great German director and really a great guy.
He mostly made German TV-movies, but really great ones.
He was a student at the munich film school and made there in the late 70s the German low-budget classics "Albert - Why?", "Anna" and "Franz - Der leise Weg".
1 1/2 year ago I met him for the first time because he lives just 2 km away from my home. So I visited him and talked to him for about 2 hours about films, filmmaking and directors. He told me how he met Roman Polanski at film school and that was really great. Like me he's a big fan of PTA and David Fincher. He also told me how fucking hard this business is.
So, yesterday, after 1 1/2 years after my visit he called me up (he thought about me after almost 2 years!) and told me that at the evening there would be a small film festival with his films ins his hometown. So I went there and they showed the films that I mentioned above. And they are really goddamn great! They were shot with about 50.000 marks and just non-professional actors of his hometown here in Bavaria. The actors were also there yesterday. It was really a great experience. Later he talked with me about the films and between the films he explained the details of the story, he mentioned funny things about the filming etc. It was really just great.

So, if you get to see some of his films (it's even hard to get them here in Germany) watch them! Very, very unknown but great!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Just Withnail

Quote from: Spike"Albert - Why?"

This may be the best movie title ever.

Pubrick

spike, send me some!

dude sounds really cool tho. like these local talented ppl that no one will ever hear about. it's a shame but really cool underground steez.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Withnail
Quote from: Spike"Albert - Why?"

This may be the best movie title ever.

hahah, u may be right. its definitely up there w/ the monster flick homer and bart watch at the drive-in; "It ate everybody!"

Spike

Quote from: Pspike, send me some!

dude sounds really cool tho. like these local talented ppl that no one will ever hear about. it's a shame but really cool underground steez.

I haven't got them either. To be honest I don't think there are any video copys of his films. With luck you'll see them someday on a festival.
His first three films were quiet succesful on some festivals (Hofer Filmtage).
Check this out:
http://german.imdb.com/name/nm0753898/awards
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"