You, Me and Dupree

Release Date: July 14, 2006
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Joe Russo, Anthony Russo
Screenwriter: Mike LeSieur
Starring: Owen Wilson, Kate Hudson, Matt Dillon, Michael Douglas
Official Website: YouMeandDupree.com

Trailer

Plot Summary: Carl and Molly Peterson (Matt Dillon and Kate Hudson) are just starting their new life together-complete with a cute house, boring neighbors, stable jobs and the routines of newlywed existence. There's just one unfortunate hitch in their perfectly constructed new world...

And his name's Dupree.

Randy Dupree (Owen Wilson), Carl's oldest friend and perpetual bachelor, has found himself with nowhere to go after being fired. Carl yanks his jobless/homeless pal out of the bar he's living in and invites him to temporarily crash on the couch-that's just what friends do.

At first, Carl is quite pleased to have his good buddy as a permanent couch guest, while Molly bears the brunt of Dupree's immature antics. But, as Carl becomes buried in his grown-up job, he finds it harder and harder to juggle Dupree and his responsibilities as a husband. To make matters worse, Dupree uses his ample spare time to become a great companion for Molly. Even her dad (Michael Douglas) and the neighbors are falling for his carefree wisdom and charm-frustrating Carl to no end.

Soon, everyone (but Carl) begins to root for Dupree to stick around. But as Dupree starts to become a fixture in the Peterson's home, three becomes not just a crowd...but a full-blown, hilarious catastrophe.

Directors Anthony and Joe Russo ("Arrested Development") tell the wildly comic story of a suburban couple who are just trying to make their new marriage work when her and me unexpectedly becomes "You, Me and Dupree".

©brad

owen wilson has had the same haircut for how many years now?

i'm convinced that it's a wig and he's been bald since before he even hit puberty. but hey, i've been wrong before...

Kal

He is just hilarious... and different... he doesnt have to act like he's insane like Jim Carrey... he is always just funny being a normal guy

Just Withnail

Looks terribly unfunny, but that shot of Michael Douglas in tears was hilarious.

Pozer

How many wedding comedies is this for him now?  Yes counting Meet the Parents.  He will never beat his role in Bottlerocket as far as I'm concerned.  He's been good in others, but a victim of typecast indeed.  And so he'll continue to clutter the goods on his resume with crap like this.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Source: Hollywood Elsewhere

Don and Walt of Steely Dan sent an open bitch letter to Luke Wilson, although the letter is mainly about Owen Wilson and his sell-out movie You, Me and Dupree. Don and Walt's main point is that the writers of Dupree (and maybe Owen also, since he produced the film) ripped off the idea behind their Grammy-wining song "Cousin Dupree" (read their letter...they go into the whole thing). They want Owen to fess up in some kind of friendly way or else theyr'e talking about going to their lawyers and making trouble.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

haha, i don't know what to think, are they serious about sending some russian to beat owen up? anyway that pps made up for it. this should happen more often, it'd be cool if it developed into some apatow/brazill style correspondence, but what are the wilsons gonna call the band on? they could start with their annoyingly dictated letters.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on July 22, 2006, 02:49:41 AM
it'd be cool if it developed into some apatow/brazill style correspondence, but what can the wilsons call the band on?

They could start with the bland, overproduced music and then just roll from there.  Possibly referencing Donald Fagen's vague resemblance to the Kennewick Man.

But first off, is this letter for sure, seriously actually from the Steely Dan guys?  Nothing would make me happier than finding out that it is, but I can't quite shake the aroma of internet hoax that it's giving off.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

that cant be real.  its UNBELIEVABLE.  if it is real, i REALLY hope luke and owen write back. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

if you want, you can totally make fun of steely dan's music no problem.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pwaybloe

Hilarious.  But it's a hoax.

RegularKarate

If it IS a hoax, it's a pretty elaborate one, considering it's on thier official website, written on stationary from the hotel they are currently staying in.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 25, 2006, 05:31:24 PM
If it IS a hoax, it's a pretty elaborate one, considering it's on thier official website, written on stationary from the hotel they are currently staying in.

There, that's the confirmation I was waiting on.  Now I can happily accept that this was indeed a product of Steely Dan's pot-fueled insanity, and anxiously await what is sure to be a classic rebuttal from the Wilson brothers.  Don't let me down, Owen!
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Owen Wilson Says 'Dupree' Is No Rip-Off

Owen Wilson has denied any connection between his new movie, "You, Me and Dupree," and '70s supergroup Steely Dan, a spokesman for the actor said Friday.

The band recently posted a letter on their Web site claiming that Wilson's Dupree character was based on their Grammy-winning song, "Cousin Dupree," about a couch-hopping houseguest.

In a statement released by his spokeswoman, Ina Treciokas, Wilson said: "I have never heard the song `Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, `HEY 19.'"

Larry Solters, a spokesman for the band's management company, did not immediately return a call for comment.

Steely Dan released a string of hits in the '70s, including "Hey Nineteen," "Reeling in the Years" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."

"There are some pretty heavy people who are upset about this whole thing and we can't guarantee what kind of heat little Owen may be bringing down on himself," band leaders Walter Becker and Donald Fagen wrote in the letter.

The band asked Wilson, 37, to appear at a concert to apologize to their fans.

"You, Me and Dupree" co-stars Kate Hudson and Matt Dillon as a newlywed couple annoyed by Dupree, a friend who crashes on their couch.

In 2001, "Cousin Dupree" won a Grammy for best pop performance by a duo or group from Steely Dan's album "Two Against Nature," which snagged album of the year.

Skeleton FilmWorks