crying out love in the center of the world

Started by pete, August 18, 2005, 02:11:51 PM

pete

please, everyone, do what you can, see this film.
you have no idea how beautiful it is.
it's a bit melodramatic, but in a sweeping, genuine David Gordon Green kinda way, and it's beautifully shot, acted, with an impeccable script.  It's a romance structured liked a murder mystery (but it's not) and really takes that flashing back and forth, Eternal Sunshine-type structure to a whole new level.  It's really geuine though the synopsis sounds contrived, I'm serious.  This is so unpretentious and so sweet and there is nothing else like it right now.
I know there are a lot of us sensitive dudes here who are searching for a perfect movie about falling love, and I thought All the Real Girls, or Before Sunrise, or Eternal Sunshine, was it, but man, dudes, THIS IS IT.

Okay, briefly, it's about a 30-year old dude whose fiancee leaves him one day for no apparent reason other than that she found an old audio tape.  The guy goes back to his hometown to look for her, and stumbles upon audio cassettes that he and his high school sweetheart (now dead) made for each other.  He walks around town looking for traces of her, whose ghost still seems to be haunting the town.  It's a Japanese film (which will probably never make it to the US theaters because it's got no high school girls killing people) that came out last year.  Seriously, it's irresistable.  It's a giant roofy.

something like that, but dudes, it's the sweetest, most geuine movie about first love you'll see, shot and acted beautifully with natural lights and handheld cameras and magic hours and sunflares and long takes and quick edits and obscure 80s pop.

DUDES!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

hedwig

Quote from: flagpolespecialwell then dude how are we going to see it?

By Clicking On this Ebaylicious Link

is this how you saw it, pete?

pete

yeah except my cover looked much better.  that looked like an international copy from like hong kong or something.
mine was like less than 10 bucks, it was also distributed by them Chinese (based in Toronto or something) with added Chinese and English subtitles.
It premiered in the Philly film festival last year, that was how I found out about it, and I saw the director's previous film "Go" and though "Go" wasn't that great, it had some really cool moments that I'll for sure steal in the future.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton