Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Started by MacGuffin, April 25, 2005, 09:10:09 PM

picolas

grand theft sparrow

modage pretty much nailed it. 

It was fun but this was the most self-aware sequel I've ever seen, in that the acting, script and directing just oozed, "We're making a bigger sequel to a surprise hit movie."  What I liked the most was treating Gareth from The Office UK and the guy who fought with George over a parking space in that Seinfeld episode as a sort of Shakespearean comic relief.  I thought that was a nice touch.

I just wish that I had had a better audience.  The one I saw it with wasn't really into it, at least not as much as the audience I saw Superman with. 

Kal

Ok anybody can say whatever the fuck they want to me about bein obssesed about the Box Office... but this movie just made 55.5 MILLION DOLLARS on its openning day, biggest openning day EVER, and it will probably be the biggest openning weekend ever... amazing. Johnny Depp is officially the biggest movie star in the planet... bye bye Tom Cruise.

JG

that is pretty amazing and quite surprising, especially considering the lukewarm reviews. 

hedwig

Quote from: kal on July 08, 2006, 11:47:58 AM
Ok anybody can say whatever the fuck they want to me about bein obssesed about the Box Office... but this movie just made 55.5 MILLION DOLLARS on its openning day, biggest openning day EVER, and it will probably be the biggest openning weekend ever... amazing. Johnny Depp is officially the biggest movie star in the planet... bye bye Tom Cruise.
you are the reason simplified spelling will prevail. god help us all.

Ravi

Quote from: JG on July 08, 2006, 11:50:09 AM
that is pretty amazing and quite surprising, especially considering the lukewarm reviews. 

Are you really surprised?  Mediocre films make tons of money all the time.

RegularKarate

Quote from: kal on July 08, 2006, 11:47:58 AM
biggest openning day EVER

Great!  Everyone's already seen it... I can see it today without the crowds!

Ultrahip

Anyone know what they show after the credits? I would've stayed to watch but I made the mistake of drinking coors light before the movie so I really had use the latrine.

modage

Quote from: Ultrahip on July 09, 2006, 12:32:07 AM
Anyone know what they show after the credits? I would've stayed to watch but I made the mistake of drinking coors light before the movie so I really had use the latrine.
dog's on the throne.

Walt Disney Pictures' highly-anticipated Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and Bill Nighy, broke Spider-Man's ($114.8 million) four-year-old opening weekend record with a massive $132 million from 4,133 theaters, the fourth-widest release ever. The movie made $55.5 million on Friday (the biggest single day and opening day in box office history, surpassing Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith ($50 million)), $44.7 million on Saturday (the fifth-biggest single day) and $31.8 million on Sunday, for an average of $31,944 per theater for the weekend. If estimates hold, this means that "Dead Man's Chest" crossed the $100 million mark in two days, which has never been done before - the previous fastest time was three days. Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Gore Verbinski, the movie cost about $225 million to make. The third installment, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, hits theaters on May 25, 2007.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

spoilerish...

the shish kabob bit was good, great & grand fun - bounces his way off the fire - pull volts his way over to the other cliff - falls through the bridges with the fruit and all... quite enjoyable sequel.

bring on your heavy disagreement, gt.

Reinhold

Quote from: hackspaced on July 08, 2006, 10:43:56 AM
modage pretty much nailed it. 

It was fun but this was the most self-aware sequel I've ever seen, in that the acting, script and directing just oozed, "We're making a bigger sequel to a surprise hit movie."  What I liked the most was treating Gareth from The Office UK and the guy who fought with George over a parking space in that Seinfeld episode as a sort of Shakespearean comic relief.  I thought that was a nice touch.

i agree.

it's absolutely the most self-aware sequel i've ever seen, surpassing even "damn! he's not going to be in rush hour three!"

it was pretty much exactly the movie i expected to see. it's nothing designed for close scrutiny, but it's entertaining.

spoiler by virtue of paraphrasing:

"it does (point to what i want most). you're sitting on it."   :bravo:
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

RegularKarate

SPOILERS, KINDA, I GUESS

The new trilogy strategy is to find a movie that everyone loved and make two sequels... the first sequel will make a ton of money based on name alone... even if it's not very good... then you just make sure that the second one leads into the third because even if people didn't like the second one, they'll see the third just to find out what happens.

I didn't hate this or think it was bad, even, but a lot more could have been put into it and it could have been an hour shorter (especially if it's not really going to end).

pete

It felt like a three-hour long trailer for the third movie.  every action setpiece I saw in the trailer looked EXACTLY like what I saw on the big screen, with no elaboration.  the cutest sequence was the cannibal sequence, but that was more comedic than thrilling.  everything else was really standard--bad guys show up, then good guys lose, enter jack sparrow who says something.  a lot of the scenes could've been brilliant, for example, orlando bloom stealing the key, but ended so terribly disappointing.  the first movie had very exciting action scenes that were both thrilling and funny, this one relied too much on exposition and took the joy out of the setpieces.
disappointed.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Not Enought Capt. Jack! If I was an Orlando fan, I'd be all over this.

The film kinda felt flat to me; laying there. I missed the cannon of laughs the first one had.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

My problem with it was that this go around the filmmakers seemed to be taking the material more seriously than with the first movie. That is, this one lacked the whimsical fun of the first because it seemed to me that the goal wasn't simply a fun summer movie, but a grandiose flick alluvasudden. It wasn't as funny, and there were bits that could have been skipped as the middle portions were definitely lagging. It was a good sequel, but in the end it just feels like the second movie of the trilogy and nothing more. They could have done a lot more with it.

And the ending was a little lame, I thought.