A Scanner Darkly

Started by MacGuffin, May 04, 2004, 04:19:44 AM

meatball

Just Withnail

I'd go as far as 'Reeves is a man', definitely not the man.

meatball

Rotoscoped Reeves will convince you.

Just Withnail

Quote from: meatballRotoscoped Reeves in a Linklater film adaptation of a Dick novel will convince you.

:-D

NEON MERCURY

reeves is a poor mans christain bale..........................
equilibrium  is actaully a  neat film...................
i like seeing the great  rory cochran.........slater.......... 8)

meatball

Quote from: NEON MERCURYreeves is a poor mans christain bale..........................

That's like comparing meatballs with sausage, just because they're both used in pastas.

modage

Richard Linklater On A Scanner Darkly
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

by Edward Douglas

Richard Linklater has been doing the rounds for his latest movie, Before Sunset, a sequel to his 1995 indie favorite Before Sunrise, that opens in major cities this weekend. While in town, he talked to Coming Soon about his latest passion, his animated adaptation of Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly, starring Keanu Reeves:

CS!: What is this movie about?

Linklater: "It's kind of a drug movie. It's set in the near future in the middle of a drug epidemic. It's going to be animated. I just shot the live action portion, but ultimately, it's an animated film using a similar rotoscoping process that I used in Waking Life. It's the same software, but it's been updated. [Animator] Bob Sabiston continues to work on it, so the animation is at an interesting place. It will have a different look that I think will work with the story well. I've been wanting to do another animated film, so I'm glad I got the chance."

CS!: What made you want to do this movie? Were you a big science fiction fan?

Linklater: "I was as a teenager, but I let it go a long time ago. I can't say that I am in a typical sense, but I do like Phillip K. Dick and I've read quite a bit of his stuff. A Scanner Darkly is one of my favorites of his, because it seemed the most personal. I was lucky enough to get an option on it a few years ago, so I just wrote an adaptation of it and thought it would be an interesting animated movie. It's not really that science fiction either. To me, it has one science fiction element, but beyond that, it's pretty realistic. I love that about Dick's stuff: paranoia plus a generation equal reality. It's like we're living in his science fiction as we speak, so it seemed really timely to me."

CS!: Many of Phillip K. Dick's stories have been turned into action films. What is going to be your take on this one?

LInklater: "A lot of Phillip K. Dick's stories and novels have always been adapted, but usually, they are taking some cool idea and making it work in some genre like an action film, and that can work. I like that novel so much that I wanted to do that story and I want to be very faithful and tell the whole story. What drives me crazy is that I think Phil K. Dick is hilarious. He's a really funny writer. I laugh when I read the books or I chuckle, and I wanted to make a movie like that. It's really darkly funny. I'm kind of making a comedy, but it's a weird comedy. Who knows how I pull it off, but I approached it like that. I hung out with his daughters a lot, and they liked my approach to it. They liked that someone was actually doing the story, not just plucking an idea and running with it. This is the story. This is that book. It feels pretty good. Keanu is great as Bob Barker, the lead character. He's an interesting guy. His thinking is such that I thought he would be perfect."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

from the Spike Lee thread....
Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly, the Philip K. Dick adaptation that Warner Independent Pictures will release next September.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ultrahip

I just read Charlie Kaufman's script for this. How the hell did he let them take it away? It's the fucking funniest thing in the word! His Barris just might be the best character ever to say "Hey Bob, you want some dog shit? To chew on?"

Downey would be out of this world as Kaufman's Barris. I just hope Linklater's is slightly in the same vein, because it is priceless, man. Oh, I really wish Kaufman was still doing this. And who the fuck hired Keannu Reeves? Woody Harrelson ain't half bad, though.

Ghostboy

I got a WI press release that said this will be released on September 16th...

...but more interestingly, AICN has a few hi-res stills from the film online.

And the trailer will be attached to Constantine, they say.

picolas

edit: DOUBLE NEWS POST

http://aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19085

this is the best idea. now Link can do ANYTHING and it'll be visually the same level of reality as everything else so your eyes'll have no choice but to accept it!

Gamblour.

I hated Waking Life, but this looks fucking KICKASS.
WWPTAD?

Pwaybloe

Yeah, it does look pretty cool and innovative, but who is the market for this movie?  

I don't think it will do well, box office-wise.  Let's hope Linklater's budget was small.

Slimepuppy

Quote from: PwaybloeYeah, it does look pretty cool and innovative, but who is the market for this movie?  

I don't think it will do well, box office-wise.  Let's hope Linklater's budget was small.

'cause, damn, that's exactly the right attitude to have!  :yabbse-thumbup:
Hyvässä indie-elokuvassa tulee olla zombi, moottorisaha ja ninjoja.

picolas

who wouldn't be interested in seeing this?