The Ninth Gate

Started by Sigur Rós, April 20, 2003, 05:58:47 PM

phil marlowe

Quote from: Sigur RósAnd to you Phil: "watch the hole movie and then comment on it!"
i did not watch the whole movie, nor did i comment on the whole movie. i saw half of the movie and then i commented on what i saw, as stated above.

wasnt my meaning to sound arrogant if thats what youre saying.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Phil Marlowe
wasnt my meaning to sound arrogant if thats what youre saying.

No, I was the one sounding arrogant!  :-D

polkablues

I hope we can all agree on one thing:  Emmanuelle Seigner is among the worst actresses who have ever lived.  Thank you.
My house, my rules, my coffee

phil marlowe

yeah, but shes pretty.

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkabluesI hope we can all agree on one thing:  Emmanuelle Seigner is among the worst actresses who have ever lived.  Thank you.

I didn't mind her in Frantic or Bitter Moon. :yabbse-undecided:

No one beats Madonna
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I thought this was a mostly pedestrian film.  It doesn't end up with anything, and wasn't all that intriguing to me.

BTW, this was the first Polanski film I have ever seen.  I guess everything else he has made will now look even better.

polkablues

Quote from: RaviBTW, this was the first Polanski film I have ever seen.  I guess everything else he has made will now look even better.

Not only that, after seeing "The Ninth Gate", the air will look bluer, puppies will be softer, and cereal will stay crunchy long after you pour the milk on, all because you're no longer watching "The Ninth Gate".

In hindsight, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  It was bad.  Bad, bad, bad.  "Highlander 2" bad.  "Rollerball" remake bad.  I'm even more pissed off at Polanski for this movie than I am about his raping little girls.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

my girlfriend saw this in the theatre and for years was under the impression that it was one of the worst movies she had ever seen, too.  but then for some reason i actually convinced her to watch it again with her brother and i and when we watched it we thought it was okay to good-ish.  nowhere near the catastrophe she had mentioned.  even she had to admit it was kinda good.  i think it is sort of a companion to Rosemary's Baby as far as the mood goes, this being nowhere near as good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

Wait, I agreed with your ranking of The Constant Gardener as being okay to goodish... maybe I don't agree with that after all.   :yabbse-wink:  :yabbse-wink:

killafilm

I'll agree with Mod.  I guess I think it's a bit better than he does.  I think Polanski and Darius Khondji created an awesome moody feeling for the movie.  And I remember there being some cool foreshadowing.  Plus Depp.  No where close to Rollerball.  Def. check it out again.

Pozer

We're talkin' about the same Ninth Gate right?

hedwig

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: RaviBTW, this was the first Polanski film I have ever seen.  I guess everything else he has made will now look even better.

Not only that, after seeing "The Ninth Gate", the air will look bluer, puppies will be softer, and cereal will stay crunchy long after you pour the milk on, all because you're no longer watching "The Ninth Gate".

i gotta see this movie.

rustinglass

Whoah! so much hatred... And I love this film so very much, and the novel too is very good.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica