Happy-Go-Lucky

Started by hedwig, April 26, 2008, 03:25:36 AM

hedwig

Trailer here.

Release Date: 26 September 2008 (USA)

Starring: Sally Hawkins, Eddie Marsan, Sylvestra Le Touzel, Samuel Roukin

Directed by: Mike Leigh

Premise: Poppy is a thirty-year-old Primary School teacher in contemporary North London. She has great friends, a job she loves and a full life. The movie follows Poppy as she confronts the harsh realities of life and deals with them head-on, never losing her sense of humour.

picolas

..i don't think i've ever seen a good trailer for a mike leigh film. so this is promising, not being that good and all.

matt35mm

I am thoroughly convinced that this will be among my very favorites, if my not the favorite, films of the year.

It's already out on DVD in the UK.  I'm moving there on the 23rd of this month just so I can see it a couple of days earlier than most of you suckers!

w/o horse

I saw it in Toronto a couple of years ago.  It's pretty good.  What was great was when Mike Leigh took me out to do some ski jumps in his private, invisible lake.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

jigzaw

The trailer was very annoying and you couldn't pay me to see this.  Looks bloody terrible.

ASmith

Just saw this at the Chicago International Film Fest, including Q&A with Mike Leigh himself.  This was a good movie.  Don't worry about not liking the tailers or if you find Poppy annoying in those trailers.  If you like Mike Leigh, you will like this movie.

Also a note to dummies who think they ask good questions at Q&As:  Skip the Mike Leigh ones, because he will call you out and embarrass you in front of your friends.

Gamblour.

When I saw the trailer for this last night before W., I didn't know what it was and said to my friend, "What is this happy-go-lucky shit?" I'm furreal.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

At my theater, we had a pre-screening of it and the group that organized it collects comment cards on the movie.  The card is pretty basic, just asking "Sex, Age Bracket, Last Film You Saw, Would You Recommend This Movie To Friends" and of course "Comments:_______"

Usually, when people leave their cards behind, or the group drops some, I love to read and collect them.  For "The Life Before Her Eyes" someone simply wrote (without filling in any of the above information): "Totally Irresponsible!!"

On this card, of a Woman who was 65+, had previously seen W. and would not recommend Happy Go Lucky to anyone, saying "DID NOT LIKE POLITICAL DISCUSSION BEFORE FILM -- POPPY LONGSTOCKING IS A FUCKING RETARD."

Normally, I'd just assume that someone was trying to play a joke, but these screenings are always at like 10 a.m. and the only people there are elderly people.  Needless to say, it made it to the refridgerator with a magnet.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye