The Paranoids

Started by Kal, March 11, 2008, 12:51:50 AM

SiliasRuby

Quote from: kal on March 28, 2008, 04:39:08 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 27, 2008, 01:41:52 PM
Too bad I missed lunch, next time definitely. Let mac and I know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Silias, how can you help out? (I don't really know what you do for a living  :oops:)

Any help is always welcome!

I'm sending a screener to Mac as soon as I have the one with english subtitles ready, and I can send you one as well.
I'd love a copy. I'm an independently wealthy writer/courier.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

Full Trailer Here!

http://beta.canalinternet.com/ver_8a345332c751b2f2e476.html

(I dont know how to make the txt with the hyperlink rather than putting the link on the side)

pete

my monitor at work is too dark for the trailer, but the subtitles look cool!
just kidding, I could see some stuff, I'll watch it again when I get home.  Looks good!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Sweet! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Congratulations!

Kal

Thanks guys. All feedback is very much appreciated :)

BTW, the site where the trailer is hosted there is also my site... the online TV channel. It's in Spanish, but if you guys want to explore around I also appreciate feedback on that one!

SiliasRuby

Quote from: kal on April 03, 2008, 10:30:18 PM
Thanks guys. All feedback is very much appreciated :)

BTW, the site where the trailer is hosted there is also my site... the online TV channel. It's in Spanish, but if you guys want to explore around I also appreciate feedback on that one!

It's amazing!! Yeah.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

I'm really excited... film opens a week from today at the opening night of the Buenos Aires International Film Festival and it already has 4 showings sold out. Only film in the festival almost sold out in advance :)

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ElPandaRoyal

Good luck man. This looks cool and I really hope everything works out fine. Go "Los Paranoicos"!
Si

Kal

First review that came out, from a critic attending the festival (only one so far as the rest wont come out until the movie release i guess):

Luciano Gauna is a clown. Well, actually he is an entertainer at children's parties, and does so to make some money. And he is (lives) worried. He fears he might catch something. And for a long time he's been writing (or, rather, he's been not writing) a script. He's on the verge of explosion, or on the verge of going nowhere fast. And his friend Manuel arrives from Spain. Manuel is a global "winner", and Luciano is full of impossibilities (but in some moment he lets go, and dances alone in a powerful scene). And Sofía, Manuel's girlfriend appears. With a zealous narrative and a classicism that proudly bears marks of well-learned genres, Gabriel Medina makes his debut with a comedy, no less. One that is somewhat romantic, somewhat nocturnal, somewhat coming of age, somewhat manifest against emptiness and apathy, somewhat reflection on certain Argentine fictions. And it has a memorable protagonist, precisely placed and named in a story which allows him to face the euphoria of music and velocity, and the vertigo of making decisions.

Kal

Kal

Variety review. Not great but its OK.

The Paranoids
Los paranoicos
(Argentina-Spain) A Primer Plano release (in Argentina) of an Aeroplano presentation, in co-production with Mondo Cine, in association with Toct Films, Topo Films. Produced by Sebastian Aloi, Nicolas Tacconi. Executive producer, Aloi. Directed by Gabriel Medina. Screenplay, Nicolas Gueilburt.

With: Daniel Hendler, Jazmin Stuart, Walter Jakob, Martin Feldman, Miguel Dedovich.

By ROBERT KOEHLER

An insecure aspiring screenwriter gets the girl in "The Paranoids," tyro Argentine co-writer/director Gabriel Medina's uneven bid for a spot in the country's small but growing commercial sector. Co-production with Spain is infected by the glib cuteness and fantasy characteristic of Spanish comedy. Although star Daniel Hendler's dry and underplayed perf as paranoid numero uno keeps pic afloat and helps its international profile, a notably slack pace may depress B.O. beyond solid local prospects.
Luciano (Hendler) has a children's party biz with partner Sherman (Martin Feldman), in which both dress up in goofy costumes to amuse the kiddies. Luciano, though, has a tendency to doze off during the events -- just the first of several signs that he's quite possibly a lifelong failure. He's also a hypochondriac, currently obsessed that he contracted HIV with a recent sex partner.

During a freak moment, he accidentally slams a door on Sherman's neck with enough force to send his pal into the hospital. Meanwhile, old acting friend Manuel (busy thesp Walter Jakob) is back in Buenos Aires from Madrid, where he has a hit TV show titled "The Paranoids," and keeps reminding frustrated Luciano of all the success he doesn't have.

Type A meets Type B, and the formula plays out rather dryly as Medina stages it, with far too much blank space demanding a trim of at least 10 minutes. There's a half-baked attempt at the deadpan humor of a Martin Rejtman in several scenes and sequences, particularly an amusing one in which Luciano momentarily leaves a small dinner party to return some bad wine to a nasty Chinese grocer.

Luciano is struggling to finish a script, even as Manuel expects him to deliver a copy to his producer. At every step, "The Paranoids" shows that Luciano has every reason to be suspicious -- Manuel may offer him work, but it's always from the standpoint of the stronger Alpha male throwing a bone to his loser pal.

Neither this narrative string nor one involving Sofia and Luciano has any strong build or payoff, comic or otherwise, and the finale comes off as abrupt and contrived. Entire project relies on star Hendler to carry the day, which isn't such a bad thing, as he's just the actor for low-key exchanges and long, pregnant pauses. As his counterpart, Jakob walks the walk and talks the talk of a man wielding creative power.

One of pic's surest attributes is a sustained mood of slight dread and unease, with most scenes occurring after sunset. Key contributors to overall effect, including lenser Lucio Bonelli, editor Nicolas Goldbart, composer Guillermo Guareschi and production designer Sebastian Roses, rep quality production values typical of mainstream Argentine filmmaking.

Camera (color), Lucio Bonelli; editor, Nicolas Goldbart; music, Guillermo Guareschi; production designer, Sebastian Roses; costume designer, Paula Santos; sound (Dolby Digital), Facundo "Paco" Giron; sound designer, Fernando Soldevila; supervising sound editor, Ricardo Sotosca; re-recording mixer, Roberto Migone; associate producers, Andy Kleinman, Mike Bassa, Federico Weil, Nicolas Casares; assistant director, Adriana Vior. Reviewed at Buenos Aires Film Festival (competing), April 12, 2008. Running time: 104 MIN.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&r=VE1117936811&c=31

Kal

So, the International Premiere of the movie will be at the Toronto Film Festival this year :)

Not sure who lives there (other than Cinephile) that can attend, but everyone is invited!

The Toronto International Film Festival announces 27 international selections to screen this September after premiering at film festivals the world over. Programmers have brought back some of the finest titles from Cannes, Berlin and beyond, to screen as part of the 33rd edition of the Festival running September 4 - 13, 2008. The official website for the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, tiff08.ca, will go live on Friday, June 27, 2008. Ticket packages for TIFF08 will be available for purchase by Visa† cardholders as of 10am on Monday, July 7, 2008, and by cash, debit or Visa as of 10am on Monday, July 14, 2008. Purchase online at tiff08.ca, by phone at 416-968-FILM or 1-877-968-FILM or in person at the TIFFG Box Office at Manulife Centre, 55 Bloor Street West (main floor, north entrance). Box Office hours are 10am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.

The Paranoids Gabriel Medina, Argentina
International Premiere
At once an unmotivated procrastinator, fearsome hypochondriac and unenthused children's party entertainer, Luciano is on the fast track to nowhere. When his successful friend arrives from Spain, Luciano is forced to face the realities of his own uninspired existence.

matt35mm

Congrats, that should be great.  Of course I can't go to Toronto, but I'll see it when I can.

Alexandro

awesome! the best of luck!!