Filmmaking with Obstacles

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 24, 2003, 07:35:04 PM

mutinyco

My advice had nothing to do with your technical expertise. It's about basic filmic logistics. The person who disagreed admitted to having never shot anything before. But the fact remains, and I know you're emotionally involved in this because it's your project, you're acting like an egotistical ass. If you really have the experience you say you do, then you should have no problems with what I've said. As is, it sounds like a vanity project -- I'll fight ya' with one arm tied behind my back!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

Every project is a vanity project. If you don't care about what you're doing, if you don't have a personal investment in it that makes it matter to you, then what on Earth is the point in doing it?

I've never said I'm Scorsese, all I've said is that I've made enough films without money or time [or actors, even] to have a fair idea about "basic film logistics". I might be acting like an egotistical ass, but you're acting like a know-it-all jerk, which is just as bad.

Anyway, we agree to disagree. The issue's dead.

:)
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Challenges are good. Vanity projects are bad. I don't see how this is really anything but the former. I love pushing my abilities.

I know the argument's dead, but I just wanted to extend my support to Silver Bullet for expanding his horizons.

Weak2ndAct

As much as it would be nice to have whatever tools necessary at your disposal, I've found obstacles to be where a lot of the fun in filmmaking comes from.  Some of my most inspired moments/shots came out of the restrictions of time/location/money/etc.  I guess that's why I dig the whole Dogme 95 thing (sure, it's pompous, but a lot of the extraneous crap goes right out the window).  Robert Rodriguez certainly is a good model as well... well at least in his early days.  I guess the point is to think on your feet, improvise, and find creative, new ways to do things.

Rock on Silver Bullet, good luck!

mutinyco

Yeah, I think I'm just at odds with it (thought did say early on that I liked the idea) because for me at this point, I'm only willing to devote my resources toward projects that I know I can put my full effort into. It takes a lot out of me. I chose an obstacle for my last short -- spend only $50 on a 25 minute short with 10 audio tracks and an orginal score. It was a way of pushing myself. But at this point, having faced enough obstacles over the years, I could only commit myself to things I'm totally obsessed by, give or take. That's why I come off as a stubborn prick sometimes -- can't deal with things that seem light or whimsical in construct.

-St. Joe

metroshane

The only real obstacle is filmmaking is money.  All of the other obstacles are easily overcome with money.

So while this project does seem fun, concentrate on doing it as cheaply as possible and you will reap the returns.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

mutinyco

I don't think I've ever heard somebody quite say that before: the only obstacle in filmmaking is money.

-St. Joe

The Silver Bullet

Quote...concentrate on doing it as cheaply as possible and you will reap the returns.
The only thing I'm spending money on is tape.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]