What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

Sanjuro

i love a clockwork orange because its a hip movie thats so well made.
the shots were amazing (nothing less to expect from kubrick), the ultraviolence was disturbing but well filmed and he was able to go all out, good acting from malcolm mcdowell, some parts were just hilarious (when he copies the officers stomp!hahah), great editing and kubrick uses all sorts of 'hip' techniques and he knows how to use them (fastworard sex scene, etc.).  and of course the music.. i just love a movie that has or glorifies good music.  and i just loved the montages...

it does grow on me, though not as much as 8 1/2 or mulholland but still i think its great

ive never read the book but for some reason i felt it was a good adaptation. i dont know maybe it was coz of all the use of orange in the movie that i felt it lived up at least to the title
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Fernando

Quote from: Cecilme too i watched it three times in a row, and then again the next day

I'm curious Cecil, how old were you then?, was that the first SK film you saw?, and what is that you found so great about it?

Funny that I don't really remember the first time I saw ACO, I do remember that being very young it surprised me that it had frontal nudity, in later viewings what amazed me was that the cinematography of the film didn't seem outdated mainly because the films I had seen of the seventies really had a crapy photography.

I also don't really remember which SK film I saw first, ACO or The Shining, but what do know is that after two or three viewings of both films I knew what a director's job was, then I noticed that both films where done by the same guy, in a way it made perfectly sense as both films are visually similar (you most understad that at that age I wasn't nearly as film lover as today).

Cecil

first kubrick film i saw was full metal jacket at age 5. i only saw the first half, after the bathroom incident... it was too much for me, i told my dad "i dont think i should be watching this film" and went to bed. i saw it in its entirety at about 13. saw the shining (after seeing the mini series) at 15, followed by aco at 15 as well. thats when i started "getting into film" and became a huge kubrick nut. only after aco did a realize they were by the same guy

chinaski40

I remember coming home late one night, pretty stoned and i turned on hbo or something and clockwork orange was on.  i had heard of it, but not kubrick.  the part i came in on was where alex is attacking the old lady with the huge penis; i swear i couldn't move until the movie was over and had to see again immediately (it probably altered my state of mind as far as how films could be made the most since i saw 'pulp fiction' and later when i saw 'magnolia'); so yeah, that was my first experience of kubrick.
clockwork orange is amazing because (like all his films) it's so hypnotic and is really stylish, but doesn't rely on it fully (like many, many other films); it also has some social commentary and it's a nice study of a personality, etc., etc.  and it's so disturbing; i think it's the most loved film of all my friends, or at least it gets the most praise when it's name is mentioned.

prophet

every other movie is PTA or QT. does this mean that there is lots of young people in here and like the modern directors, or does it mean that people dont watch movies from other countrys?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

©brad

Quote from: prophetevery other movie is PTA or QT. does this mean that there is lots of young people in here and like the modern directors, or does it mean that people dont watch movies from other countrys?

i didnt even know they made movies in other countries.  :shock:

modage

you mean there are OTHER COUNTRIES?!?!?! *(head explodes) :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

Alethia

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ewardwhat are "films"?

Man, this place isn't like it used to be... :roll:

aclockworkjj

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIs the film school down there any good?

~rougerum
sorry man, I just saw this.  The school, ummm...it's not bad.  It's just a easy way to get your hands on some equipment.  Shitty equipment to start, but still a camera.  The teachers, well...kinda suck.  The Head of the Film School is sorta a dipshit (but really nice guy).  Some of the grad kid TA's were cool as shit though.  I learned a lot from one dude.  I suggest taking some film studies classes there, that's where some great teachers exist.   It's not an expensive school and within walking distance of the Downer Cinema.

Realize one thing about the school though.  They are geared towards film in a avant garde sense, not a mainstream one.  A lot of people make film/video installations (like in an art museum) versus an actual narritative film.  You are not limited to that by all means, but that is the general direction it goes in. Then again, it's been a few years for me, so they coulda changed a lot.  But I don't it has, the film school was always shafted on budget as well as tucked away in an old campus Hall basment.

The East side of Milwaukee is a great place to hang though.  I think it's very under apprieciated.

Alethia

Quote from: Find Your Magali

hehe.   :-D

Banky

Quote from: Find Your Magali

what like 2 months ago?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobTop five...

Punch Drunk Love
Requiem For A Dream
Amelie
Princess Bride
Pulp Fiction

I forgot if I posted here, and I had.  I knew I had, and I thought to myself "Man I bet those favorite movies changed now that I've seen a bunch more."

I was wrong.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

freakerdude

to get back on track, here are mine in no particular order:

The Professional
Blue Velvet
Wild At Heart
Apocolypse Now
Platoon
Scarface
The Godfather
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Bridge Over River Kwai
Wizard Of Oz