Your top 10 most visually impressive films you have seen.

Started by Stefen, November 08, 2010, 08:02:55 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

My goal was to list my 10 before reading anyone else's lists, lest they more influence it than just what visuals I've always admired.  Had I read the thread first, I would've totally posted Tristam Shandy, too.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mogwai

There's too many to choose from but here's ten of them:

Barry Lyndon

Chinatown

Dogville

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Monster's, Inc.

Once upon a time in the west

Seven

The Road

THX-1138

Tron

Pas

samsong

in an effort to name (more than ten) films that haven't already been named that i love (to look at), and following mogwai's lead:

the night of the hunter

mccabe & mrs. miller

red desert

le plaisir

andrei rublev

she wore a yellow ribbon

ugetsu

last year at marienbad

cries and whispers

fitzcarraldo

the new world

l'atalante

the spirit of the beehive

beau travail

---

glad someone else has seen distant voices, still lives.

Pas

cronopio 2

i'll just mention that one, cos i think it's my favorite. Hunger by Steve McQueen.

Robyn

A bout de souffle

Apocalypse Now

Barry Lyndon

Control

Les amants du Pont-Neuf

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Requiem for a Dream

Rumble Fish

The New World

Punch-Drunk Love

Robyn

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) - Jaromil Jires

Mel

In no particular order (maybe beside first two films). Possible revisions in the future, since this needs some time to collect.

2001: A Space Odyssey
This is pretty much a grandfather of visual films, not much else to say.

Mysteries of Lisbon
If I had to pick only a one film with the most impressive visuals, it would be this. I wanted to pause it an every other minute, just to enjoy painting-like quality of frames.

The Thing
In terms of special effects, it is not only an improvement over older films, but even over modern productions. That combined with a full white turning into a complete darkness, sprinkled with a flare lighting creates a memorable experience.

Baraka
So many images that got imprinted into my mind, it is all about visuals.

Ben Hur
I don't like the content of the film, but an extreme widescreen aspect ratio required some unusual tricks to fill the frame: a frame within a frame, lots of details in a background etc. Seeing an chariot race in 2.76:1 ratio is a worthwhile experience.

Das Boot
Film that provided the most claustrophobic experience for me. I wanted to just go out and see some trees at the end of trip.

Ran
Very deliberate usage of a color. If you ever wondered why films moved away from black and white, this is the answer.

Paprika
How many detailed characters can you fit into the frame of animation?

Enter the Void
Where you find locations like that? Starting from POV shots to VFX sequences like the love hotel, it is technically impressive.

Stalker
Some of the most poetic scenes in the cinema like the passage of time shown in a shallow water.

Simple mind - simple pleasures...