Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Drenk on August 10, 2022, 01:31:46 PMBryan Cranston's acting makes Breaking Bad unwatchable for me now; I've never thought that what he did was great acting, or even particularly good, but I can't stand it today. It's cringe inducing.

I rewatched Ozymandias recently and it was painful.

What about it is bad? Too exaggerated/theatrical?

Drenk

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 10, 2022, 01:36:30 PM
Quote from: Drenk on August 10, 2022, 01:31:46 PMBryan Cranston's acting makes Breaking Bad unwatchable for me now; I've never thought that what he did was great acting, or even particularly good, but I can't stand it today. It's cringe inducing.

I rewatched Ozymandias recently and it was painful.

What about it is bad? Too exaggerated/theatrical?

He's not bad-bad, but his acting is distracting. I should rewatch another episode because Ozymandias is, obviously, very dramatic so he's doing A LOT.

Overacting as a way to be critical about acting never satisfied me because, for example, Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood can be described as overacting, but I find him perfect in this movie.

Cranston is, yes, too theatrical in the sense that he looks like he's playing for somebody at the back of a theater. Every movement is big, every expression is The Expression at its Biggest Intensity (Angry or Sad), and nothing can be simple because this is a Drama. He's like this moment in the Magnolia documentary where PTA parodies PSH.

That said: Walter White being bad at being a "bad guy" (a bad actor in a way) makes it work sometimes.
Ascension.

Drenk

Spoiler: ShowHide
As pristine an execution of a mediocre ending as can be, but that was to be expected.

I can't wait for the next spin-off ending with yet another monologue of the main character admitting their sins at the end of the show in order to be punished/saved/redeemed.

Maybe a cop will throw a Hallelujah, too.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Spoiler: ShowHide
This was kinda like the Seinfeld finale! Kidding.

Jimmy's 'this is how they get ya' pacing back and forth made me so sad for him. I'm glad Kim was able to be gracious.

WorldForgot