The Most Controversial Films Of All Time

Started by MacGuffin, June 10, 2006, 01:06:36 AM

MacGuffin

EW ranks 'Passion' most controversial film

Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" ranks as the most controversial film of all time, according to Entertainment Weekly.

The magazine ranks the 25 films that have most shocked, disgusted and divided moviegoers, in its June 16 issue, on newsstands Monday.

EW writes that Gibson's grisly depiction of Jesus' betrayal and crucifixion ignited "a culture-war firestorm unrivaled in Hollywood history." Despite — or to some degree, because of — the religious uproar, the 2004 film grossed over $370 million at the U.S box office.

Coming in second is Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange." Kubrick's 1971 futuristic film is famous for a violent scene during which "Singin' in the Rain" is played. Reports of copycat crimes led to the movie's withdrawal from distribution in Britain.

Oliver Stone has the unique distinction of landing twice on the list: 1991's "JFK," ranked at No. 5, and 1994's "Natural Born Killers," at No. 8.

"The Da Vinci Code," now in theaters, charts at No. 13 for the debates spawned by its tale of a Catholic cover-up. Another recent film, "United 93," ranks at No. 16 because of concerns that it came too soon after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

Also among the 25: "Fahrenheit 9/11," "Deep Throat," "The Last Temptation of Christ," "The Deer Hunter," "Basic Instinct," "Do the Right Thing" and "Kids."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Gold Trumpet

Lists are meaningless, but I think The Passion's #1 is greatly due to the still fresh memory of its controversy. When JFK was originally released, The New Republic ran critical articles on the film for 6 straight issues (outside of even a film review). The Passion of the Christ got only one cover page and cover story. That could say a lot or say very little, but it at least says as much as making a list would to the answer of "the most controversial."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ginger on June 10, 2006, 01:22:32 AM
The Deer Hunter was controversial?

Oh, big time. There were a lot of great articles written at the time about the film. The major controversy is that it was one of the first serious anti Vietnam films to be made. Interestingly, it was only one of three anti Vietnam films to be released that year. In 1978 Coming Home and another (I forget the name) were released as well. The Deer Hunter not only rose above the others by winning Best Picture at the Oscars, but its drama was very American for how much it focused on the American ritual of ceremonies. The over extended wedding at the beginning and the hyped reunion of De Niro's return from Vietnam were major parts of the movie. I've never seen Coming Home but this film was duly noted as so American in identity that it was troubling for a lot of people to watch along with the subject.

hedwig

i wonder if birth of a nation made it.

if not, consider me shocked and disgusted by that list.  :elitist:

pete

if I was compiling that list, I'd definitely throw Enter the Dragon in there in an awkward, contrived fashion, just to remind everyone about Bruce.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 10, 2006, 01:38:49 AM
Quote from: Ginger on June 10, 2006, 01:22:32 AM
The Deer Hunter was controversial?

Oh, big time. There were a lot of great articles written at the time about the film. The major controversy is that it was one of the first serious anti Vietnam films to be made.

Also, a few people killed themselves playing Russian Roulette right after it came out.  Much reactionism as a result of that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

1. The Passion Of The Christ
2. A Clockwork Orange
3. Fahrenheit 9/11
4. Deep Throat
5. JFK
6. The Last Temptation Of Christ
7. The Birth Of A Nation
8. Natural Born Killers
9. Last Tango In Paris
10. Baby Doll
11. The Message
12. The Deer Hunter
13. The Da Vinci Code <<<(invalidated)
14. The Warriors
15. The Triumph Of The Will
16. United 93
17. Freaks
18. I Am Curious (Yellow)
19. Basic Instinct
20. Cannibal Holocaust
21. Bonnie And Clyde
22. Do The Right Thing
23. Kids
24. Caligula
25. Aladdin
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

what was the controversy behind aladdin?  the subliminal messages?
I'd add star wars: episode 1 and pretty baby.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: pete on June 10, 2006, 10:44:57 AM
what was the controversy behind aladdin?  the subliminal messages?

Disney's animated Aladdin got off to a rough start in 1992 due to some lyrics that drew the ire of Arab-Americans. Casey Kasem, the long-time DJ and host of American Top 40, led the fight, and by the time the movie was released on home video, the song was changed.

The offending was song "Arabian Nights," which opened the film. The original lyrics were "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face. It's barbaric, but hey it's home." The new lyrics are "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense, it's barbaric, but hey it's home."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

it is interesting that Salo is not on that list.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

edison

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Split Infinitive

I think a more accurate title for the list would be "The 25 Most Controversial American Movies of All Time."  Granted, not all of them are American productions, but countries like China, Japan, France, England... hell, just about every film-producing country in the world has had at least one huge uproar over a film in its cinematic history.  The Americentrism of a list selling itself as "of all time" is rather staggering by any measure... but then, it's EW.

So, meh.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Split Infinitive on June 10, 2006, 09:39:44 PM
I think a more accurate title for the list would be "The 25 Most Controversial American Movies of All Time."  Granted, not all of them are American productions, but countries like China, Japan, France, England... hell, just about every film-producing country in the world has had at least one huge uproar over a film in its cinematic history.  The Americentrism of a list selling itself as "of all time" is rather staggering by any measure... but then, it's EW.

So, meh.

That's what I was gonna say. I did a paper on film censorship, a huge factor in the idea of controversy, and what about a film like "The Miracle"? More important that the mother fucking Da Vincy Code. That's like having Dogma on the list (which is more controversial anywhow).
WWPTAD?