Top 50 cult movies

Started by CadillacJack, May 21, 2003, 08:19:05 AM

RegularKarate

Yeah... it's hard to define "cult status"

I think there are two different categories of cult.  

One of them includes fims that are so bad they're good... a celebration of flaws...  a lot of films that fall into todays cult category intentionally do this,  Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Buba HoTep, etc...  This category would include Rocky Horror and the like.

The second category is the films that fly in under the radar like you were saying... films that are more appealing to "counter cultures"... not accepted  by the mainstream movie goers, but adored by a small group.

Of course there would be films that fall into both, which, I guess would make them extra "Cult-y".

I think quote-ability has a lot to do with it too.

don't know man... hard to say

Gold Trumpet

I don't know about anyone, but I'm just glad to see Aguirre: The Wrath of God on there. For me, Klaus Kinski has to be the most fascinating actor out there ever. Easily in the top 5 of people I would like to have dinner with. And to just state it, most fascinating actress is Louise Brooks who may have been the only intellectual or most intelligent of actresses.

~rougerum

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI don't know about anyone, but I'm just glad to see Aguirre: The Wrath of God on there. For me, Klaus Kinski has to be the most fascinating actor out there ever. Easily in the top 5 of people I would like to have dinner with. And to just state it, most fascinating actress is Louise Brooks who may have been the only intellectual or most intelligent of actresses.

~rougerum

Hey, The Gold Trumpet. I was just talking about Fitzcarraldo with a good friend of mine. I love that movie so much. Herzog's films in general are all great. Especially that remake of Nosferatu.

It's like opening a store called Burger Queen, and making whopper-calibur food.

MrBurgerKing

Any director willing to hold the camera on water for 3 minutes and get an amazing effect is great in my book.

Duck Sauce

I always have associated CULT MOVIES with movies that arent really that great or accepted by the mainstream and even people like us, but finds a very small niche of people who love it. They just listed a bunch of offbeat movies...

Keener

Matthew was really well hung, eh ? Get it ? Hung. Eh ? Anything ? Anything ?
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

soixante

Other cult films:

Sextette -- Mae West's last film, one of Timothy Dalton's first films.  Anything that features Dom Deluise and Keith Moon in the same movie has to be a cult film.

Myra Breckenridge -- Another Mae West film, co-starring Rex Reed and Raquel Welch.

Magic Christian, A Boy and His Dog, 200 Motels, Man Who Fell to Earth, Tommy, Zardoz
Music is your best entertainment value.

godardian

Performance?

Velvet Goldmine?

Centering your film around popular music/popular music figures seems to lend it some "cult"ness, maybe?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Just Withnail

QuoteHow about creating our own list over top 50 cult movies?

All for it!

By the way, Withnail & I is waaay too low on that list  :P

USTopGun47

I agree that a cult film is either pathetically bad and therefore aspires to some degree of appreciated humor or perhaps it just gathers a select and esoteric group of followers based on its subject.  They also somewhat become over analyzed and dissected films, forming somewhat of a cult group even on mainstream good films.  Somewhat like Pulp Fiction.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Pas

Shawshank Redemption ? A cult movie ? Stephen King inspired, Morgan Freeman as actor, no a glimpse of eccentricity ...

What the hell is this movie doing there ? Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Office Space, Pi, Requiem for A Dream ...

joke08

Pi can't be a cult movie, it won the sundance didn't it?
Requiem however, i agree.
Shawshank I think is, because it has a bigger following after it comes out on video, than when it first hit the theaters.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)

modage

in their new issue they said they got so many pissed off letters they added 11 more cult movies to their list.  they are...

1. MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL
2. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
3. MOMMIE DEAREST
4. THE PRINCESS BRIDE
5. SWINGERS
6. UHF
7. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
8. FIGHT CLUB
9. DEAD ALIVE aka BRAINDEAD
10. BETTER OFF DEAD
11. DONNIE DARKO
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I could be wrong, but I remember Mac once saying "A mainstream movie is a movie that a million people see 5 times, a cult movie is a movie that 5 people see a million times."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

hey thanks for the clarification a full year and 5 months after anyone stopped caring.
under the paving stones.