Blue Car

Started by Weak2ndAct, December 04, 2003, 05:29:19 PM

Weak2ndAct

Just caught this on dvd last night.  Definitely worth checking out, one of the better films I've seen this year-- and was justifiable nominated for some Independent Spirit awards.  The two leads are great.  Agnes Bruckner (in  Lucky McKee's upcoming 'The Woods') is terrific, and I could watch David Strathairn all day.  He's just awesome.

The story is a basic suburban/family drama, Bruckner vents her frustrations into her writing, and her AP English teacher (DS) takes an interest in her work and her life.  The story takes some wonderfully dark turns that I won't spoil for you here.  The only set-back is some stilted performances by some inexperienced actors in bit-parts, but the strength of the lead performances, and the what the story turns into is worth the price of rental alone.  Recommended.

foray

For me, the dark quasi twist it took at the end made it a better film. Otherwise, it would have been the same ol schoolgirl crush story, ra ra ra. The acting was ok, I found David Stratham annoying (I hated what his character said about poetry), the film was mildly disturbing, but I wouldn't recommend it to others. The highlight for me was the crazy little sister.

foray
touch me i'm sick

Weird. Oh

I saw this film a couple of months back. It followed the formula of an older male lusting after the young innocent girl. Notwithstanding, it was well acted especially by the girl in question.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Gold Trumpet

The film felt like it was straining to just be a finished film - even if much of the drama was typical and nothing about it really that interesting. I was involved in the story, but halfway through I realized I didn't like the movie when I kept wishing for the female lead to show some nudity. A lot of bad films have been finished by moi just on that hope.