How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

ono

2020 Xixax Dekapenticon

First, thanks so much to Sleepless for his work on all these great banners.

As mentioned before, I had to concoct a little system for rating these films based on the weighted votes they received.  Reason is, some films were mentioned a lot but not ranked very high, and some were ranked high when they were mentioned, but not mentioned by that many people.  So, these 20 films are those that received 5 or more votes and an "Enthusiasm Index" of 790 or more.  The Enthusiasm Index is: (#votes)^3 + ∑((21-#n-place-votes)^2 ...)

#VotesTitleEnthusiasm
192001: A Space Odyssey2773
28Magnolia2379
39Mulholland Drive2033
47Eyes Wide Shut1816
57Apocalypse Now1645
68There Will Be Blood1614
76Citizen Kane1327
87Pulp Fiction1264
95Dogville1219
105Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me1146
115The Night of the Hunter1133
126Vertigo1118
136The Big Lebowski1086
146The Master1056
157Barry Lyndon1006
165Chinatown1004
175Punch-Drunk Love983
187Alien972
195Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind887
205The Godfather: Part II791

Honorable Mentions: The Thing (7/740), Do the Right Thing (4/1202), Come and See (4/1007).  The Thing had a lot of people mention it, but no one ranked it higher than 6th.  But it would've come in 5th if I just went by raw votes.  That's what let me know something was wrong with the first approach.  Do the Right Thing and Come and See had the opposite problem.  Few people mentioned them, but when they did, they ranked them really highly, creating another outlier.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Sup peeps.  Haven't been active much lately, but the movie love is still real, and I have been active on Letterboxd, playing catchup over a lifetime.  In a file tucked away on my computer, I came across a list of Stanley Kubrick's favorite films, circa 1963, and it reminded me of the Dekapenticons we did way back when.  It's been 14 years now, so I figure now's a good a time as any to bring it back.  2004's list was sad.  2006's list was a bit better, but still showing our collective ages and inexperience.  But tastes have changed, people have come and gone, and our living GOAT has made 4 features since, with a 5th on the way.  What better way to continue riding out the 'rona?  I'll help however I can cuz hey, I got time.  Thoughts?

THE NOMINATIONS ARE IN!

42 films were nominated (due to ties).  PM me your ranked list of 20 films from this list only.  Ties will be broken by number of 1st place votes and so on.  Please continue campaigning at your leisure, watching films from this list and sharing your thoughts, and expressing slack-jawedness over one film's omission over another, etc.  Have fun!

2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Barry Lyndon
Boogie Nights
Buffalo '66
Chinatown
Citizen Kane
Come and See
Dancer in the Dark
Do the Right Thing
Dogville
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eyes Wide Shut
Fight Club
First Reformed
Full Metal Jacket
Inherent Vice
Inland Empire
Jackie Brown
Lost Highway
Magnolia
Morvern Callar
Mulholland Drive
Palindromes
Paris, Texas
Pulp Fiction
Punch-Drunk Love
Singin' in the Rain
Southland Tales
Sunset Boulevard
The Big Lebowski
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
The Master
The Night of the Hunter
The Shining
The Terrorizers
The Thing (1982)
There Will Be Blood
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Vertigo

Voting will be open until December 31st at 11:59 PM PST.  We'll then ring in the new year with our first Dekapenticon (Icosicon?) in 14 years!

Sleepless

I had this same thought a couple of months back and did absolutely nothing about it so full credit to you. I'm in.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Good idea! I don't have much time right now to spearhead something like this, but I could certainly still help out.

IIRC, last time we came up with a complex voting system where we had people make a ranked list, and those ranks were assigned point values so #1 wouldn't be worth 10x as much as #10. That sort of thing.

Since that's probably untenable, maybe something in Google Forms?

Did we have like a two phase thing, nominations then final voting? I don't even remember.

ono

I think it was something like, everyone nominates 30 films, and then we take the top 30 from those and vote for 15.

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

WorldForgot

Sleepless

What about a "20 For '20"? Goal being a list of 20 films this time around.

Everyone could submit a list of 20 films each (can do in Google Forms). Films have to nominated x-number of times (3?) to make the official "nominees" list. Then everyone votes on what films make the final list. Thinking everyone votes for 20 ranked-choice style, but not sure if Google Forms has that capability. Also think it'd be better to do the voting where the status isn't visible so that current standings don't impact how people vote.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ono

I like that too, but the nominations list still needs to be bigger than the final films list in order to have a consensus.  So, since in the past we did 30, pick 15, how about this time we allow people to nominate 40, pick 20?  I'd be willing to do all the heavy lifting, counting, etc, since it was my idea.  It won't be that heavy.  No Google thingy would be needed.  Some spreadsheet fu would suffice, once all the entries were normalized.  You could just PM them.

Sleepless

I like you doing the work lol :) No objections to that. I do think it's important that we keep the "status of voting" confidential so as not to influence strategic voting, but campaigning for films to be included in nominations list should be allowed. However else you think it should work is fine. PMing votes makes me nostalgic for the Xixax of yore...

Jeremy Blackman

I also think it's best to have a larger pool of nominations.

It can be a bit of a headache to count and compile nominations that are made in a thread in no standardized format, with all sorts of different spellings, punctuations, and capitalizations. But I don't think the turnout would be overwhelming enough to be concerned. In any case, I think we've found that decreasing the barrier to entry (not requiring any special formatting etc.) increases participation quite a bit.

I assume the nominating process would not ask people to do any ranking. That phase is just about compiling a list of titles, right?

I would say the people organizing this should exercise some amount of editorial control over the nominees. We've found that to be essential sometimes in the Xixax Awards. The will of the voters/nominators is usually very clear in most situations, though, and you want to reward the energy of the people who participate in the nomination phase.

ono

Yeah, a low barrier is important.  I'm thinking all people really need to do is say the name of the film, and the year if there's any confusion.

And yeah, it's just a list of titles right now.  I actually forget what the rankings were used for anyway.  I don't think personal rankings were very relevant.

If there's no other input to be had, I think we can go ahead and open up the campaign period.

Maybe have nominations open until the 16th, and then announce the list on the 17th, and that gives everyone another two weeks to watch stuff.  We'll announce the winners on January 1st.  Sound good?

Sleepless

polkablues

I humbly suggest that we do this one as a best movies of the past 20 years rather than a best all-time. I'm just worried about putting a bunch of effort into it and then ending up with basically the same list.
My house, my rules, my coffee