Dirty Pretty Things

Started by jonas, July 16, 2003, 08:54:27 PM

jonas

Is anyone else going to see it this weekend?

Looks very interesting and it's getting some good reviews. I'll post my thoughts after viewing.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Pas

I hope this comes where I live...it's gonna be great

jonas

Saw it last night.

It was pretty good. I'd give it a strong ***/****

The story was good, it had some good drama with a bit of comedy. The thing that made the movie enjoyable were the actors performances.

The 2 leads were great. Chiwetel Ejiofor was good, I haven't seen him in anything else. Audrey Tautou had the toughest role and was the best part of the film. Her most dramatic role thus far, and it was in english (w/turkish accent). I was surprised at how good she was, and I'm a fan.

Definately worth seeing if it's playing near you. It's only in NY/LA for now but will probably expand next week.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Bud_Clay

Quote from: jonasAudrey Tautou had the toughest role and was the best part of the film. Her most dramatic role thus far, and it was in english (w/turkish accent). I was surprised at how good she was, and I'm a fan.

I'm already there! Audrey oh audrey...

TheVoiceOfNick

I'd like to see it just from the billboard... very eeeenteresting.

Nick

modage

also saw this one today.   i have purposely tried not to be dragged into any of Audrey Tautou's movies since amelie just because of her being in them, if i was not interested otherwise.  so this was the first thing i've seen her in since then.  happenstance, venus beauty institute, he loves me he loves me not and that pudding thing, have all been on my skip list.  but i read a couple reviews that made me think this might be interesting and i sometimes like stephen frears, so i went.  and unfortunately it just seemed to be made up of bits of tons of movies i've seen before.  every twist or turn wasnt something that couldnt been seen from a mile away.  and it was just too low key for me.  also, anyone expecting to see audrey starring, dont be fooled.  she is not the central character.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I enjoyed this quite a bit. It's really interesting, how it has this mystery/thriller setup, but a completely different and very realistic undercurrent about immigrant workers. The ending was truly beautiful. Chiwetel Ejiofor is an amazing actor, and Tautou was better here than she was in Amelie (although I like Amelie more as a movie).

mindfuck

I just got back from seeing this and I'd have to say I enjoyed it. The acting was great, the mood was pretty well set, but I felt it dragged in some parts (mainly the beginning). I also felt like they were trying to walk too fine a line between letting the audience make connections on their own and just telling the story. For awhile there I was digging on the mystery element they were going with and waiting for some big twist and/or payoff that never came. I can't really elaborate without spoilers, so I'll just leave it at that.

Overall, I would definately recommend it. Plus, Audrey was hot as usual.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mindfuckPlus, Audrey.
nuff said, I am sold...going to see it tomorrow.

The little interview here is kinda cool

Sleuth

I loved it.  Everyone go see it

EDIT:  unless you're Ebeaman.  You're probably going to want to stay away
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: tremoloslothI loved it.  Everyone go see it

EDIT:  unless you're Ebeaman.  You're probably going to want to stay away

or wait six months and itll be on bravo or the bbc or something, and much better suited to that format.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI'd like to see it just from the billboard... very eeeenteresting.

Nick

read this:(Miramax's poster purrs the come-on "Some things are too dangerous to keep secret" as Tautou casts a smoldering gaze over her bare shoulder. In the actual film, she portrays a devout Muslim virgin.)

seems they're misleading us a bit, hmmm?

this film opens here friday, should i see it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sleuth

Quote from: bigideas
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI'd like to see it just from the billboard... very eeeenteresting.

Nick

read this:(Miramax's poster purrs the come-on "Some things are too dangerous to keep secret" as Tautou casts a smoldering gaze over her bare shoulder. In the actual film, she portrays a devout Muslim virgin.)

seems they're misleading us a bit, hmmm?

this film opens here friday, should i see it?

Yeah it's misleading, and yeah go see it.
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

Just saw it last night, it was pretty damn cool. Not something I'll be buying, but it was a tight little thriller. Very unpredictable and dark.

It was disturbing-as-hell to see Audrey treated as she was, I cowered in my seat and cried for her, lol. Really though, that was fucked up. I was trying to imagine Stephen Frears telling her about THOSE parts (you know the ones) in the movie that she'd have to act in...that must have been awkward.

I liked it though. Audrey lit up the screen as usual. You know how the Okwe guy was made to look kinda dull  and disenchaneted...yea, all that dullness was accentuated everytime he stood next to her...and there was nothing he could do about it, lol. Yes, I do love Audrey. Stephen Frears is an underrated filmmaker too.

Bud_Clay

I was real happy to see Audrey take on an entirely new roll....very pleased with that.  She played a part completely uninvolved in her fucking cute looks and for that she gains even more respect from me.  Amazing girl. \