Nathan for You

Started by Garam, November 07, 2015, 05:22:50 PM

Garam

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 14, 2015, 12:21:51 AM
Come on guys we need to talk about this. Jasmine is an actress, right?

The show is 'real' in the sense that a reality show is 'real'. In that it's an odd blend of genuine reactions and scripted fiction. It's a parody of the medium as well as the message.

The girl Corey went on a date with has revealed a little about the process.

https://www.reddit.com/user/JasmineSaylor/

So yeah, they know it's 'fake' in that a reality show is 'fake' but their reactions to Nathan's madness are totally genuine.

Jeremy Blackman

Okay wow, thanks. That sounds about right. She really struck me as someone who was helpfully playing along. The misleading editing bothers me a bit; otherwise that mostly seems fair. It does raise questions about how much trickery goes into the other episodes. But I'm willing to believe that this one required significantly more.

Jeremy Blackman

Just finished Season 3, for some reason ending with E3 "The Movement." This made me laugh harder than anything I can remember, no exaggeration. (SPOILERS!) Specifically when Jack makes his television appearances and finally arrives at this glorious moment:

"I was working with a jungle child, his name was Dendy, he was a great inspiration for me. And uh, unfortunately, tragically, he died when baboons kidnapped and ate him. It was actually one of the worst days of my life."

I was laughing so hard I had to pause the show for a minute to recover. It's his delivery — the absolute sincerity and confidence — that sells it.

In general I think this episode might have more classic moments than any other in Season 3.

- "A jungle child is what?" / "Jungle child are children that live in the jungle."

- "Never stepped foot in the gym in my entire life. I got this body by simply just moving boxes and furniture."

- "The candles flickered, the sheets were still, but all the energy in the room surrounded Roman and Kenzie. Kenzie stepped forth and gently touched Roman's arm. He suddenly felt weak, and trembled, and fell, as if his Achilles heel had been struck by a blade, but all it was was simply a woman's touch."

- "Jack can go on the news, lie to everyone in America, and you'll get a fresh batch of people..."

- That wig and beard reveal. Oh my God.

- "We do too much for our children."

jenkins

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 05, 2016, 11:15:16 PM
"I was working with a jungle child, his name was Dendy, he was a great inspiration for me. And uh, unfortunately, tragically, he died when baboons kidnapped and ate him. It was actually one of the worst days of my life."

nothing but perfect.

this is an la thing he's doing, wish i could see the setlist:

Jeremy Blackman

First episode is good. The second and third episodes are GREAT. I completely lost it at the charity event (you'll see).

Also I feel like this show is fully and completely unethical right now. It bothers me a little, but it might be a worthy sacrifice for art.

Jeremy Blackman

Episode 4 — Epic. One of the most impressive things Nathan has done. I was actually on the receiving end of this prank, as were many others, and I did not catch on. Mind blown.

Episode 5 — Thoroughly absurd, but underwhelming. Mileage may vary.

Episode 6 — Part 1 is meh. Part 2 is GREAT, though. A scene toward the end had me laughing so hard I could barely see the image and had to rewind.

wilder

episode 7 is a mini masterpiece

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilder on November 11, 2017, 01:19:53 AM
episode 7 is a mini masterpiece

No kidding. This show is beyond words.

That last 45 minutes was pure uninterrupted gold. Several times I had to pause it for half a minute just to process things.

Spoiler: Frances certainly dodged a bullet. It's fascinating how Bill makes women guess who he is when he calls them. Like that uncertainty establishes the power dynamic in his favor before the conversation even begins. And that rehearsal scene, wow. "I'm here to marry your wife! Do you understand English?"

I guess I still do have mixed feelings with some of this season's episodes. I was not entirely comfortable with the targets of satire being struggling musicians and cab drivers.

polkablues

Season 4 is finally on Hulu! Hopefully I have time to binge it all this weekend.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Do post when you're done. I don't think it's the best season, but it may have some of the highest moments.