Commentary routine

Started by kotte, November 28, 2003, 04:23:50 PM

kotte

How do you listen to commentaries?

Have it on in the background when doing situps? Sit in your sofa with chips & dip and watch it as you would without the commentary?

As I've said, I listen to it when I go to sleep.

PS. I did the mistake of listening to the 'The Usual Suspects' commentary before I saw the movie. If you haven't heard it they tell us who Soze is in the first 5 minutes DS.

SoNowThen

Usually just sit there and watch it as I would the regular movie. The only difference is I will answer the phone, or split it up over two days, which I hate doing with movies.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

i usually listen to them while i am working on the computer...i will make the window small and throw it in the corner of the screen.  Listen, work, and occasionally glance.

kotte

Quote from: aclockworkjji usually listen to them while i am working on the computer...i will make the window small and throw it in the corner of the screen.  Listen, work, and occasionally glance.

That's actually a good idea. Haven't thought about that. Thanks. :)

SoNowThen

I don't understand why you guys wouldn't sit down and watch the thing. I find it gives you the chance to really study the editing and the lighting. Some people like to watch movies with the sound turned off for this reason, but I like the added extra of a running commentary.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenI don't understand why you guys wouldn't sit down and watch the thing. I find it gives you the chance to really study the editing and the lighting. Some people like to watch movies with the sound turned off for this reason, but I like the added extra of a running commentary.

The commentaries I listen to when I go to sleep are movies I've seen several times before and commentaries I've listened to.

I can't have a commentarie on in the background if I haven't seen the movie. I get too interested.

Sometimes I just want to listen to great directos talk. That's why I have several CDs with commentaries.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: kottePS. I did the mistake of listening to the 'The Usual Suspects' commentary before I saw the movie. If you haven't heard it they tell us who Soze is in the first 5 minutes DS.
How/why in God's name did you listen to the commentary before the movie-- or any movie for that matter?

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenI don't understand why you guys wouldn't sit down and watch the thing. I find it gives you the chance to really study the editing and the lighting. Some people like to watch movies with the sound turned off for this reason, but I like the added extra of a running commentary.
that's true.
under the paving stones.

kotte

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: kottePS. I did the mistake of listening to the 'The Usual Suspects' commentary before I saw the movie. If you haven't heard it they tell us who Soze is in the first 5 minutes DS.
How/why in God's name did you listen to the commentary before the movie-- or any movie for that matter?

I agree. That was a big mistake. I was bored with my other commentaries, you know. I've listened to PTA, the Coens and Coppola a fucking hundred times. I needed something fresh so I thought 'why not The Usual Suspects'.

I won't do it again. That's for sure.

Gamblour.

I watch the commentary like I would any movie, just sit there and listen. Sometimes, my mind wanders and I have to rewind often. Mostly, I only listen to the director commentary, or DP commentary, and then cast. Rarely do I listen to crew only. That's just boring and mostly covered in the special features anyhow. I'm gonna go listen to my LOTR TTT extended with director/writer commentary and then Cast commentary and then the Simpsons season 3, all with commentary. Gonna be a long day.
WWPTAD?

BrainSushi

I usually surf the web while listening to commentaries. Sometimes I need to stop and rewind if the director/writer/producer/actor/historian/whatever points out something specific on screen, so I can have a gander. I also only usually listen to commentaries one time, unless it's worth a second listen.

I also listen to director commentaries first. Any other commentary comes second, but I always like to listen to all of 'em.

meatball

NEON MERCURY

i listen to the commentary track while watching the film..

meatball

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi listen to the commentary track while watching the film..

Well, I'd usually do this.. but lately, commentaries have been losing my interest unless they are especially well done.

Ravi

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: NEON MERCURYi listen to the commentary track while watching the film..

Well, I'd usually do this.. but lately, commentaries have been losing my interest unless they are especially well done.

Within the first minute or two you can usually tell whether or not the track will be good.  I turned off the Metropolis commentary quickly because the guy was narrating the action instead of imparting knowledge.