Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Robyn

Has there been a backlash to that scene? I've seen a few comments like "It was awkward to see the person that was once a child for so long naked", which are completely ridiculous... it was shoot in the least shocking way possible.

Drenk

Well, I mostly loved this episode. Full of atmospheric, emotional scenes with characters quietly waiting for their death.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

The episode has more impact in retrospect for that reason. I'm thinking about how many of these characters are going to die or be turned, very very soon. Many of these scenes are goodbye scenes.

Fernando

Yeah, I loved this one, for sure the farewell episode for many secondary characters, I don't think main ones will perish in this battle, although it depends how everything goes, also this battle probably lasts more than one episode?

I loved Jaime's 'reception', he actually defended himself pretty good, it gave me chills when Bran said 'the things we do for love' interrupting/completing what he was saying at the right time which turned out to be true, but also and only Jaime understood what it really meant. And of course, Brienne vouching for him was emotional.

I wonder if what Bran told Jaime at the tree meant that he won't make it after the battle. He says 'how do you know there is an afterwards'. I know it sounds like he means everyone could be gone, but it also feels like he could be talking about him.
Maybe Jaime could be one of the main characters to go in this battle...I hope not.

I saw the episode again and Arya was eyeing Gendry form the start, when she proves she can throw arrow heads like a boss, she was like hmm maybe later.

Also, if almost the whole north is there, shouldn't Meera Reed be there? I don't know if D&D just eliminated the character or if she will appear later, but she could fight, she is useful now.

Robyn

Quote from: Fernando on April 22, 2019, 07:08:24 PM
Yeah, I loved this one, for sure the farewell episode for many secondary characters, I don't think main ones will perish in this battle, although it depends how everything goes, also this battle probably lasts more than one episode?

The next episode will be 82 minutes long.
I've been thinking about the length and the outcome too. One or the other must be losing in this battle, right? There's nowhere to escape.... I guess a few character could escape with the dragons, but where would they head after that? With no army and all... the Iron Islands?
And it's too far to the sea.

Also, it's the army of dead and they don't need to eat, sleep, etc... they won't stop until someone has won.
I don't see an outcome where the battle stops and then continues again.

It seems possible that it will last until episode 4. Maybe next episode will end when all hope seems lost. That would be an awful wait, lol.

Quote from: Fernando on April 22, 2019, 07:08:24 PM
I loved Jaime's 'reception', he actually defended himself pretty good, it gave me chills when Bran said 'the things we do for love' interrupting/completing what he was saying at the right time which turned out to be true, but also and only Jaime understood what it really meant. And of course, Brienne vouching for him was emotional.

I wonder if he will do something more "for love"? Perhaps saving Brienne in the battle? They are fighting on the same flank after all. I expecting one of them dead in the next episode.

Drenk

https://twitter.com/reallyhalalfood/status/1120437099403018240

:yabbse-grin:

Yes, this was a very bad scene, acting-wise, for her: but I liked the scene, writing-wise.
Ascension.

Robyn

Not sure if I've been this hyped for a television episode before.

©brad

Quote from: Robyn on April 26, 2019, 12:14:29 AM
Not sure if I've been this hyped for a television episode before.

Haha I'm excited too. I'm actually more nervous than excited, because I feel it will be a blood bath. I can't believe a TV show can actually cause such dread. Breaking Bad used to do it too, especially towards the end.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks the Night King is a lame villain? Part of me is just wanting to get this WW battle over with so we can move onto the war with Cersie, whom I find much more terrifying.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on April 26, 2019, 02:34:48 PMBtw, am I the only one who thinks the Night King is a lame villain? Part of me is just wanting to get this WW battle over with so we can move onto the war with Cersie, whom I find much more terrifying.

I mean, he's not a conventional villain though, right? So should we really apply the same standards of villain evaluation? I actually strongly like the idea of an enemy that's a largely unknowable force of nature. The Night King is not really a character, he's the incarnation of a concept.

Drenk

I want some sort of flashback/hallucination with Bran and the Night King.
Ascension.

Drenk

Not a fan at all. I feared an episode like that.

I didn't like it at all, but I loved the scene where Arya was hiding in the library. The last scene looked great, too, even if I don't get why Melissandre is doing that but whatever.

And I liked Sansa and Tyrion. I wish Daenerys and Jon had died. They were ridiculous in that episode.
Ascension.

Lottery

Terrible. If GRRM writes something similar to this in the final books, he will be a failure forever. If this is the endpoint of all this WW/CotF business, it wasn't worth it.

Jeremy Blackman

Really? Yikes, I might have to step out of this thread.

Drenk

Quote from: Lottery on April 28, 2019, 10:05:39 PM
Terrible. If GRRM writes something similar to this in the final books, he will be a failure forever. If this is the endpoint of all this WW/CotF business, it wasn't worth it.

Even with Dance, I have no doubt that the books will be entirely different: the showrunners might have some plot points (Jon comes back from the head, The Night King wants to erase human history and for that he needs to kill The Three Eyed Raven) but they didn't do much with it. I wonder why they didn't go with a "Martin told us nothing, the TV Show will be its own thing from now on" narrative, à la Full Metal Alchemist. They would have been less scared to invent some mythology? I don't understand why they didn't even want to include Lady Stonheart.
Ascension.

Fernando

I loved it.

It was a roller coaster of emotions for me, I kept thinking how the hell will they get away from this situation.

Melisandre didn't disappoint, she was key for the victory and when she told Arya 'what do we say to the god of death' I got goose bumps and thought from that point on that Arya would kill the NK, and sure enough she did although I screamed nooo when he grabbed her by the neck.

So the death count IIRC is, Beric Dondarrion, Edd from the night's watch, The Brave Lyanna Mormont  and of course Jorah and Melisandre.

I'm not sure if both dragons survived, we see Drogon but not the other one.